QA / Lab Manager
Toronto, Ontario /
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
About Our Team:
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset - which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.
The science team at Vital is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to fill the role of QA / Lab Manager. We're looking for a teammate capable of developing, implementing, and maintaining systems to ensure that our laboratory is constantly running at peak quality and efficiency. This involves developing processes for lab safety, enforcing our Quality Management System (QMS), streamlining supply ordering/inventorying.
As a QA / Lab Manager at Vital, you will be maintaining equipment, preparing high-quality reagents and buffers, and supporting our team of experimentalists to develop our next-generation assays. This role is critical to our organization as you will be the team’s authority on quality, safety, and process.
The role will involve process development and refinement and the ability to adapt to work in a fast-paced lab environment. We are constantly optimizing our lab to help push science forward at unprecedented rates. You will be expected and encouraged to actively contribute to our product development direction, and present novel procedural and scientific concepts that will positively impact all aspects of Vital's operations.
What you'll be doing:
- Developing processes to ensure our lab is becoming 10% more efficient every day
- Implementing systems, tools, and automation to help ensure compliance with the processes you put in place
- Keep up-to-date with regulatory requirements and update the team on changes
- Help the scientific team achieve goals to meet ambitious deadlines;
- Develop and maintain our lab QMS
- Synthesize and sterilize biological buffers as required for experiments. Experience with handling biological media and maintaining DNAse/RNAse/Protease free environments is an asset;
- Maintain stocks of required chemical reagents from established suppliers, discover new suppliers and improve pricing/quality at all steps of development;
- Maintain proper function and conduct regular calibration of laboratory instruments including: pH meters, optical microscopy, UV-Vis spectroscopy, circular dichroism (CD), fluorescence spectrometry;
- Manage multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate effectively to peers and leadership to support decision-making, including writing protocols and summarizing results in a report or presentation
You will need to:
- Be meticulously organized
- Be obsessed with efficiency
- Have experience maintaining an academic or industrial research laboratory
- Have experience developing and maintaining a laboratory QMS
- Be competent in biochemistry and chemistry
- Have experience with execution of experiments in a wet lab
- Have a bachelor's or master's degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field
Bonus points for:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- An appreciation of puns
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!