Technical Program Manager
Toronto, Ontario /
Program Management /
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
About Our Team:
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset - which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.
As a TPM, you will be responsible for leading planning and execution across multiple teams and initiatives to support the research, design, development, and optimization of Vital's hardware and software. TPMs are responsible for the "when" and the "how" of the program, and hold their teams accountable to deliver on research and engineering projects to achieve business objectives. At Vital, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing directly to the assay design, hardware or codebase.
- Drive the formulation and review of team roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly, monthly and weekly cadence
- Partner with Technical Leads, Senior Scientists and Engineering Managers to turn requirements and technical specs into achievable implementation roadmaps, including planning timelines and milestones and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and manage our department design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of strategic initiatives, iterative improvements, and proactive engineering excellence investments.
- Support calculation of team capacity vs estimated workload, and ensure the team can deliver on their commitments
Execution and Delivery
- Own communication of team, initiative, and objective statuses to all stakeholders, including senior management and executives.
- Be the point of contact for high-visibility cross-functional workstreams
- Drive all required meetings, monitor and understand progress, and consolidate and disseminate information
- Foresee the effects of projects across multiple teams and be a key person at managing conflicts and dependencies.
- Escalate and coordinate with dependent teams to unblock work
- Manage project risks, flag these early, and address mitigation where applicable to keep key initiatives on track.
- Shield teams from outside distractions and interferences
- Define the right team and group sprint processes and meetings (planning, execution, retrospectives) alongside Engineering Managers
- Maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the team, ensuring the appropriate use of scrum process
- Define and maintain a reporting structure to track in-flight and backlogged work
- Coordinate with product and engineering management to ensure KPI goals, project goals and acceptance criteria have been met and completed on schedule
- Help publicly celebrate the team's wins
- Help define, build, and embody engineering culture and principles.
- Work closely with Engineering Managers and other leads on coaching and improving team collaboration and effectiveness
- Support the growth and organization of the team, act as a mentor, and support onboarding and career development
- Invest in recruiting and building the Vital engineering brand, conduct technical interviews, and help raise our hiring bar
- Build strong cross team collaborations with the integration, biochemistry, sensing, instrument design and software teams.
What you need:
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Biochemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical field
- 6+ years of technical industry experience, including as a technical leader or manager, ideally in the medical devices, digital health or life sciences industry (ie. experience maintaining FDA/ISO compliance)
- Experience deploying hardware or medical technology into real world environments
- Experience managing complex fast-paced initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations, often with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Proficient with Agile testing methodologies and best practices
- Passionate about medical technology and its impact on the world
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!