San Jose, California
We're looking for a tissue engineer to focus on the development of in vitro grown animal skins for leather applications. The candidate should be a reliable, highly-motivated and exceptionally innovative biotechnologist who will work with the rest of the team on the development of novel bioreactor systems to support industrial-scale production of new tissues.
The successful candidate will be someone who feels comfortable thinking “outside the box,” have expertise in tissue engineering, performing key critical assays to characterize cell / biomaterial interactions and has experience designing bioreactors for the growth of tissues.
The primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Developing processes to grow tissues that can be easily scaled and manufactured at large scale.
- Work with other team members on the impact of changes of inputs such as new cell lines, media formulations and biomaterials on the generation of tissue
- Optimize processes that will help reduce the cost of goods
- Oversee personnel in the development of bioreactor systems; work closely with both internal and external design engineers to further develop complex systems
- Experience in scaling R&D projects to pilot and production scale
- Experience in process engineering
- Oversee the design of systems using a variety of computational techniques
- Provide guidance to other members of the team in the field of tissue engineering
- Daily activities will include working in the laboratory to generate engineered tissues and develop and perform specific assays to characterize the product in 3D culture systems
- Evaluate new methods, technologies and processes to independently advance the tissue engineering aspects of the company’s projects
- Knowledgeable and proficient in cell / biomaterial interactions, in vitro tissue formation, tissue engineering bioreactor operation and assays to support tissue characterization
- Follow Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies
- Interact with colleagues to report research results and outcomes by performing calculations and data analysis
- Able to present data in a concise manner to both internal and external audiences
- Maintain and update laboratory notebooks
- Applicant must be willing and able to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
Tissue Engineer Skills & Experience:
- The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology or a related field or an advanced degree with an appropriate level of experience
- Experience working with cell / biomaterials is a plus; experience working with bioreactor design is preferred
- Experience working with stem cells (iPSC, ESC or MSC) is preferred. Experience in dermal tissue engineering is a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of post-graduate experience, ideally from industry
- Experience in the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) is a plus
- Demonstrated personal or professional projects that align with the role
- Must have superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and be able to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
- Must be able to communicate well in oral/written format and must possess adequate computer skills for word processing and data management.
- Authorized to work in U.S.
We offer great benefits, a competitive salary, and challenging, impactful work. Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.