South San Francisco, California
VitroLabs manufactures real leather without the need to raise and slaughter animals.
We're a Y Combinator (S17) and venture backed start-up based in San Francisco, CA working on the cutting edge of 3D tissue engineering using stem cell-based technologies. We're developing the worlds first fully scalable tissue engineering platform combining the latest breakthroughs in stem cell research, biomaterials and 3D printing.
We're creating animal skin models from animal cells for use in luxury leather goods. We're passionate about finding a solution to the pressing ethical and environmental issues that arise from farming animals for leather products.
While leathers are the first product, ready for market at pilot scale later this year, the future goal is to use the VitroLabs platforms to go back into regenerative medicine and grow living, human organs in the lab.
The candidate should be a reliable, highly-motivated and exceptionally innovative biotechnologist who will report to our Senior Biomaterials Scientist and work with the rest of the team on development of new tissue engineering resources. Successful candidates will be familiar with natural biopolymers, 3D DLP SLA printing technology, and tissue engineering.
VitroLabs offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Procuring, setting up, and maintaining textile fabrication equipment.
- Prototyping textile scaffold materials at the bench scale.
- Designing and optimizing textile scaffold materials for cell interaction and mechanical performance.
- BS or Master’s degree in Textile Engineering, Materials Engineering, or equivalent.
- 1 to 3 years industry experience is preferred.
- Expertise in textile design and fabrication equipment and processes.
- Hands-on experience fabricating textile structures using bench-scale equipment,.
- Mathematical modeling and design of textile structures is a strong plus.
- Experience in the field of cell-based tissue engineering and scaffolds a plus.
- Must have superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and be able to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads.
- Must be able to communicate well in oral and written format, and must possess adequate computer skills for word processing and data management.
- Follow Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies.
- Applicant must be willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet production demands including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends.
- Authorized to work in US.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the environment and animal welfare.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.