Bioprocess Engineering Lead - Upstream
San Jose, California /
VitroLabs is a venture-backed company working towards a world where science is used responsibly to provide positive impact for business, the planet and all living things. By harnessing novel applications of frontier science and technology, we've developed a process to grow real leather that is slaughter-free and better for the environment.
About the role:
We're looking for a hands-on Bioprocess Engineer who shares our values to join our growing team. In this role, you will develop processes for large scale production of mammalian cells and oversee, train, and guide the laboratory team to meet research and development timelines. You will be a part of developing bioprocesses for truly large scale manufacturing strategies for producing cell based animal hides and other products.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute process development studies to establish scalable, high-yield, stage-appropriate cell culture processes for large scale manufacturing of mammalian cell lines. Studies include but are not limited to cell culture scale-up, cell banking, and bioprocess of tissue formation at the small and large scale.
- Evaluate new technologies for scaling up cell and tissue bioprocesses.
- Analyze and interpret experimental results and present to cross functional teams; suggest changes and additional experiments to improve and robustness and/or reproducibility of the cell bioprocess
- Develop, author and maintain SOPs, reports and other scientific and quality documents
- Coordinate and manage day to day activities in the lab in order to adhere to the company’s timelines and goals
- Supervise and mentor associates on scientific background and technical aspects of work
- Perform or develop essential analytical assays to support process and product characterization
- Perform or develop cell-based assays, to support product and process characterization
- Work cross-functionally with team leaders and at the bench alongside other pioneering scientists
- Proactively read and apply relevant scientific literature to projects to troubleshoot and solve problems
Must Have Qualifications & Skills
- Academic and industry experience required; Advanced Degree in Biochemical or Chemical Engineering with several years of industry experience, or BS with 6+ years of industry experience preferred
- Hands on experience with stir-tank bioreactor process scale-up in an industry setting
- Direct experience utilizing DOE software (JMP, DesignExpert)
- Experience drafting SOPs, Batch records, reports, and protocols
- Proficient in general mammalian cell culture techniques and assays
- Highly motivated team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills, who is capable of leading by example and exceeds expectations in all aspects of the role
- Stellar organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
Nice to Have Qualifications & Skills
- Knowledge of PAT and data management systems
- Background in cell therapy and/or experience working with immortalized cell lines, fibroblasts and stem cells
- People management and/or leadership experience
Authorized to work in the U.S.
Ability to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
We offer great benefits, a competitive salary, and challenging, impactful work. Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.