Bioprocess Engineer, Downstream
San Jose, California /
VitroLabs is a venture-backed biotechnology startup working towards a world where science is used responsibly to provide positive impact for business, the planet and all living things. By harnessing novel applications of frontier science and technology, we've developed a process to grow real leather that is cruelty-free and better for the environment.
About the role:
In this role, you will lay the foundation of mammalian cell culture downstream processing. You will oversee the development of methodologies for harvesting cells from bioreactors, concentrating cells and cell cryopreservation. This is a unique chance to join a fast growing startup in a new frontier, where you will play an important role in developing key critical process steps.
The ideal candidate is data driven and has experience in cellular downstream processing and cryopreservation. This position requires the ability to successfully guide projects to completion, solid understanding of mammalian cell biology, and a knowledge on how to integrate various downstream processing steps for consistent cell product yield. If you are a self-starter, a leader, and excited to join and make an impact in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment, this might be the role for you.
- Guide a process development team on all downstream processing steps for mammalian cell culture.
- Collaborate and work closely with both the Upstream processing and the Tissue Engineering groups to ensure a seamless process
- Identify, suggest, purchase and operate specific equipment to support this role.
- Build, manage and nurture an internal team and oversee supporting vendors
- Manage the transfer of technologies to both pilot and large scale manufacturing.
- Design and execute experiments to scale up cell harvest and cryopreservation process
- Evaluate and implement Process Analytical Techniques to monitor and control downstream operations.
- Contribute to developing and testing cell based assays for process validation
Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience in cell cryopreservation in vials and bags
- Experience in concentrating cells from large volumes (many liters) of cell culture media
- Clear understanding of downstream processing steps and how they integrate with upstream processing
- Knowledge of cell thawing protocols
- Knowledge of Process Analytical techniques and cell based assays
- Hands on operational knowledge of large scale downstream unit operations.
- Results Oriented: recognizes what results are important – and what steps need to be taken to achieve them. Consistently delivers required business results.
- Adaptability: The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures, people).
- Managing: Has the ability to manage and mentor of employees in order to enhance their performance; defining targets and providing appropriate means; controlling progress and correcting employees.
- Communication: Ensures that all necessary information is passed on to stakeholders and teammates. Expresses oneself clearly in all interactions with others and approaches concerns and feelings with empathy.
- Self-Management: Ensuring that one’s own work meets expectations. Proactively solicits and provides feedback to improve self and team performance.
Authorized to work in the U.S.
Ability to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
We offer great benefits, a competitive salary, and challenging, impactful work. Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.