Bioengineer, Tissue-Engineering Bioreactors & Biomechanics
San Jose, California
At VitroLabs, we’re on a mission to bring tissue engineering to unprecedented scale and new applications.
We're developing the world's first fully scalable tissue engineering platform - combining the latest breakthroughs in stem cell research, biomaterials and 3D tissue engineering.
Our first product? Slaughter-free, real luxury leather.
We're looking for a bioengineer to focus on the development and characterization of tissue-engineering bioreactor systems for the development of in vitro grown animal skins for leather applications as well as tissue mechanical characterization.
The candidate should be a reliable, highly-motivated and exceptionally innovative engineer who will work with the rest of the team on the development of novel bioreactor systems to support industrial-scale production of new tissues.
The successful candidate will be someone who feels comfortable thinking “outside the box,” able to work with outside design firms, performing biomechanical testing to characterize cell / biomaterial interactions and has experience designing bioreactors for the growth of tissues.
- Developing bioreactors to grow tissues that can be easily scaled and manufactured at large scale
- Oversee the design of systems using a variety of computational techniques
- Develop automation to simplify bioreactor operations
- Experience in developing code for process control
- Work closely with both internal and external design engineers to develop scalable systems
- Experience in scaling R&D projects to pilot and production scale
- Daily activities will include working in the laboratory to develop and optimize bioreactor systems and develop and perform specific biomechanical tests to characterize the product
- Evaluate new methods, technologies and processes to independently advance the tissue engineering aspects of the company’s projects.
- Follow Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies.
- Interact with colleagues to report research results and outcomes by performing calculations and data analysis
- Able to present data in a concise manner to both internal and external audiences
- Maintain and update laboratory notebooks
- Applicant must be willing and able to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
Skills & Experience:
- The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. or M.S. in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biotechnology or a related field with an appropriate level of experience
- Expertise in tissue-engineering bioreactor design is required
- Experience with LabVIEW, CAD, Matlab, and/or other engineering software suites is required; experience in LabVIEW and/or PLC-based automation is a strong plus.
- Experience working with cell / biomaterials is a plus..Experience with biomechanical testing of tissues is a plus
- Experience with finite element modeling (FEM) and/or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling is a plus
- Experience in dermal tissue engineering is a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of post-graduate experience, ideally from industry
- Experience in the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) is a plus
- Demonstrated personal or professional projects that align with the role
- Must have superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and be able to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
- Must be able to communicate well in oral/written format and must possess adequate computer skills for word processing and data management
- Authorized to work in U.S.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.