Associate Scientist, Cell Culture
San Jose, California /
Do you love to work at the frontier of emerging science and have a pioneer mindset? Are you incredibly organized and a successful leader? If yes, then read on.
Leather consumption has become unsustainable. At VitroLabs, we’ve developed a new way, using stem cells, to grow real leather that lets us work in harmony with nature without killing animals.
We're looking for a hands-on Assoc. Scientist to oversee, train and guide the laboratory team to support day-to-day cell culture activities to meet research and development timelines. Come help us reinvent how leather is made, how farm animals are treated, and how tissue-engineering is applied in the world.
This role may be a great fit for you if:
- you’re familiar with all aspects of cell culture: cell banking, tissue formation optimization and performing cell-based assays, to support product and process characterization
- you can successfully prepare and execute cell culture and tissue growth processes to meet pilot-scale production goals, with an emphasis on the development of detailed SOPs and batch records
- you are excellent at operating, troubleshooting and optimizing 3D Bioreactor systems for both cell and tissue growth
- you thrive in a collaborative environment, working cross-functionally team leaders and at the bench alongside other pioneering scientists
- you thrive to always maintain a high level of productivity in the lab and prioritize performance of critical tasks and experiments
- you proactively read and apply relevant scientific literature to projects to troubleshoot and solve problems
- you are great at developing, authoring and maintaining SOPs, reports and other scientific and quality documents your strength
- You excel at generating, analyzing, translating and communicating data and conclusions to both scientific and non-technical audiences
- you always follow Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies
- you are willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet demands including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
You have the following additional experience and skills:
- a BS in Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or a related field. MS is preferred.
- minimum of 5 years of primary cell culture experience consisting of at least 2 years of industry experience
- experience with large-scale 2D cell culture and exposure to bioreactors for adherent cell lines
- knowledge of stir tank bioreactor set-up, operation and maintenance.
- experience with cell culture of immortalized cell lines, fibroblasts and stem cells
- self-motivation and a team player mindset
- stellar organizational skills with attention to detail
- an ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and an ability to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
- Great oral and written communication skills, word processing, and data management
- Authorization to work in US.
We offer great benefits, a competitive salary, and challenging, impactful work. Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.