Tissue Engineering Lead
San Jose, California /
VitroLabs is a venture-backed company working towards a world where science is used responsibly to provide positive impact for business, the planet and all living things. By harnessing novel applications of frontier science and technology, we've developed a process to grow real leather that is slaughter-free and better for the environment.
VitroLabs Inc seeks a reliable, highly-motivated and exceptionally innovative tissue engineer to lead a team on the development of novel bioreactor systems to support industrial-scale production of new in vitro-grown animal tissues for leather applications. The ideal candidate for this role is no stranger to thinking “outside the box” whether they are conducting an experiment in the lab or developing a new process.
Expertise in tissue engineering, bioreactor design, and performing assays to characterize cell / biomaterial interactions is a must.
Must Have Tissue Engineer Skills & Experience:
- Extensive experience in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomechanical Engineering, Biotechnology or a related field. Advanced degree with 5+ years of post-graduate, industry experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable in process and biochemical / mechanical engineering.
- Proficient in cell / biomaterial interactions, in- vitro tissue formation, tissue engineering bioreactor design / operation and assays to support tissue characterization.
- Experience in developing scalable R&D projects from pilot to production.
- Natural communication skills with ability to present data in a concise manner to both internal and external audiences of both scientific and non-scientific backgrounds.
- Superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and ability to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads.
- Understanding of Microsoft computer programs and statistical software packages for documentation and data management.
- Passion for people management and building up world-class teams.
Nice-to-Have Tissue Engineer Skills & Experience:
- Experience working with stem cells (iPSC, ESC or MSC) and dermal tissue engineering.
- Understanding of Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Demonstrated personal or professional projects that align with the role.
Primary role responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Designing scalable processes for growing tissues using mammalian cells and biomaterials that can be easily scaled and manufactured at large scale.
- Collaborating on projects targeted at monitoring the trajectory of inputs such as new mammalian cell lines, media formulations and biomaterials on the generation of tissue.
- Generating engineered tissues, as well as development and execution of specific assays to characterize the product in 3D culture systems.
- Partnering with the Process Development team to integrate all elements of the process from cell seeding to final product release to support technology transfer to manufacturing.
- Working with the leadership team, help to manage partnerships / projects with internal and external personnel in the design and development of complex perfusion based bioreactor systems for the growth of animal derived dermal tissue.
- Evaluating new methods, technologies and computational techniques to independently advance the tissue engineering aspects of the VitroLabs’s projects while simultaneously optimizing for scalability and reduction of the cost of goods.
- Adhering to, and mentoring others on, Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Reporting and presenting the documentation of research findings with precise calculations and data analysis, as well as ongoing maintenance of laboratory notebooks.
- Managing a team of highly qualified scientists by providing additional guidance in the field of tissue engineering and driving individual / team goals.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends.
Come and join our incredibly dedicated and driven team as we develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
We offer great benefits, a competitive salary, and challenging, impactful work. Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.