Senior Economist, Climate Strategy
Summary: The role of Senior Economist is a mid-level project management role with responsibility for excellent economic and strategic analysis, project delivery and client engagement.
We are currently looking for a Senior Economist to join our Climate Strategy practice, to support internal and external project management and develop our expertise in international carbon markets, climate policy design and implementation, and the competitiveness impacts of such policy.
Experience in climate policy, domestic and international carbon markets, energy transitions, engagement with private- and public-sector clients, and applied quantitative and qualitative techniques would be a strong advantage.
About Vivid Economics: We are a leading strategic economics consultancy spanning public policy and private sector strategy and investment. We work across a wide range of sectors, including climate, energy, industrials, natural resources, transport, real estate, urban infrastructure and services, manufacturing and technology, investment and banking. We are known for our expertise across a number of themes, including economic growth and development, policy and market design, scenario analysis and asset valuation, natural capital accounting and resource management, low-carbon and climate resilience strategies, risk management and decision-making under uncertainty. We pride ourselves on our robust analytic toolkit, drawn from academic partners and proprietary tools, including CGE and econometric modelling, energy and natural system modelling, trade and industrial market power modelling, and spatial modelling using earth observation and other data.
The climate strategy practice focuses on three areas:
1. The design of climate policy instruments and integration within a broader (energy) policy suite, and the linking of carbon markets under the Paris Agreement
2. Modelling the impacts of climate policy instruments on the economy (e.g. GDP, employment, distributional impacts), energy production and emissions. Our frameworks of analysis offer insight on the effects of policy on prices, market shares, firm profits, emission and abatement incentives, network regulation and growth that are not available elsewhere.
3. An innovative approach to estimate carbon leakage and competitiveness impacts in industry, including the valuation of assets, fiscal impacts and investment requirements of meeting the targets set by Nationally Determined Contributions.
We provide thought leadership, actionable advice for governments and help private sector stakeholders contribute to a low-carbon economy.
In all our work, we put economics to good use by supporting important decisions and carrying the argument to implement them. The success we bring to our clients reflects a strong partnership culture, solid base of skills and analytical assets, and close cooperation with a large network of contacts. The foundations of our business are our values and mission-driven approach, world-class skills and our commitment to developing and maintaining cutting-edge techniques. These are housed in an independent, highly-motivated, entrepreneurial, employee-owned business, based in London.
Description of the role
A successful Senior Economist is able to analyse new and complex economic problems, design and apply advanced quantitative and qualitative methods, and produce high quality end products. A Senior Economist will also be expected to manage some staff and parts of projects, as well as to begin to develop client relationships.
It is also essential that the consultant has demonstrated strategic advisory experience, either in a corporate environment, government or non-government arena. The role will involve working in teams as well as independently to formulate evidence-based insights and translate them into credible, clear and compelling advice. The candidate will understand what it takes to bid for, manage and successfully deliver projects.
The candidate should have a strong awareness of climate policy, carbon pricing and international carbon markets. A desire to deepen knowledge and remain up to date is vital.
While the successful candidate is expected to focus on the role outlined above, there will also be the opportunity to contribute economic analysis to a range of other projects across the company’s practice areas.
Some international travel is expected but should not be extensive unless desired.
Primary day-to-day duties
At Senior Economist and Engagement Manager levels:
– structuring and applying economic frameworks to analytical problems;
– developing client solutions, addressing client input, and designing materials that effectively communicate recommendations;
– developing expertise and intellectual property (assets) within the company;
– maintaining and developing relationships with existing clients, as well as a broader professional network;
– keeping updated with knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications and participating in professional organisations;
– coordinating and leading the development of bid materials for a range of private and public clients;
– identifying and contributing to business development and marketing opportunities;
– developing and seeing through plans, forecasting resources, preparing budgets;
– supporting the development of junior staff; and
– participating in company improvements.
Reporting and supervisory relationships
A Senior Economist will lead key streams of work in a larger project, or take primary lead on a smaller project, supervising c.1-3 people.
A Senior Economist will either report to an Engagement Manager, or in some cases directly to a Director or Principal.
Experience and qualifications
Candidates must have sufficient experience to demonstrate competency in the duties described. As a guide, four or more years of experience tends to be required for Senior Economist. Previous consultancy experience is not necessary but is strongly preferred.
Candidates with less experience are eligible for an Economist role.
A first class or upper second class degree in economics or a closely related field is required. An MSc/MA or Ph.D. in a relevant field is preferred. Fluency in English is essential. Working knowledge of other languages is an advantage, particularly Spanish or French.
‒ Salary for Senior Economist of £45,000-£55,000 per year, plus annual bonus.
‒ Share options scheme.
‒ 43 days of paid holiday per year, including UK bank holidays.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis