Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Manager
San Francisco, CA /
Finance – Finance /
At Volta, we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
We are seeking a motivated Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Manager to join our growing FinanceTeam. We are looking for a Leader who understands the strategic value of thoughtful processes and can roll up their sleeves and get into the details to build them (while having fun along the way). You will be responsible for a mix of technical accounting operations; reviewing of journal entries and reconciliations, and the financial reporting process.
You’ll make an impact at Volta by influencing and enhancing not only the outputs of our Finance team but the processes by which outputs are arrived at and delivered. Our ideal candidate approaches all elements of their work with integrity and is experienced in a variety of technical accounting areas as well as financial reporting process management. You are a dedicated team-player, self-motivated, and extremely organized and detail-oriented.
This position will be based in San Francisco, CA and will report to the VP, Controller.
- Review contracts and perform research to prepare technical accounting memos documenting Volta’s positions and conclusions. Propose accounting policies, journal entries, and reconciliations for areas reviewed for implementation.
- Support Volta’s revenue recognition process by reviewing contracts, performing ASC 606 analysis, and journal entries and reconciliations.
- Review monthly and quarterly journal entries and reconciliations related to complex accounting areas
- Manage ongoing technical accounting issues by working with leadership and external auditors to ensure consensus on accounting policies prior to implementation.
- Manage research and implementation plans of newly issued accounting pronouncements and implementation calendars.
- Prepare audit schedules and assist with the annual audit process on technical accounting matters.
- Compile monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements (Consolidated Balance Sheets, Income Statements, Statement of Cash Flows, and Statement of Stockholders’ Equity).
- Prepare tie-out support for all annual filings and prepare disclosure checklists.
- Coordinate and manage the timelines for the financial reporting process by working collaboratively with internal business partners, including management and external auditors to ensure timelines are met.
- Perform research on applicable disclosure and SEC reporting guidance, including benchmarking best industry practices.
- Prepare proposals for new or updated disclosures and liaise with management and external auditors for sign-off before implementation.
- Perform monthly and quarterly annual flux analyses and analytics to support the financial reporting process.
- Assist with system implementations to appropriately capture financial reporting requirements from peripheral systems.
- Assist with preparing monthly reporting decks for internal management and external stakeholders (board/audit), including compiling analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with a CPA license
- 5 - 6 years of experience in technical accounting and financial reporting; preferably a public/private mix
- 3+ years in public accounting environment
- Experience with Workiva
- SEC reporting experience
- Desire to work in a fast paced team environment with the ability to clearly articulate requests to cross-functional business partners
- Organized, self-motivated with a growth mindset
- Proven experience in writing technical accounting memos, reports or accounting policies
- Enjoys teaching and providing accounting guidance to others
- A passion for sustainability and electric vehicles
- Proven experience in providing and implementing accounting guidance on technical matters including ASC 606, ASC 718. ASC 350, etc
- Experience with accounting and finance at a construction company
- Experience with NetSuite is a plus