Senior Hardware Engineer, Manufacturing and Prototyping
San Francisco, CA
At Volta we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
Our company is small, but focused and ambitious. By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute in a number of ways to our Product department and the evolution of the company itself. For this role, you will be leading the development of new features and functionality for our network of 500+ charging stations across the US. From prototyping with new sensors to expanding the modularity of our offerings to helping translate new industrial designs into reality, this is a critical role for the robustness and appeal of our charging network.
- Engage with our industrial design, product development, and manufacturing partners to ensure high quality of ideas and execution
- Facilitate the building of proof of concept prototypes of new sensor technologies and user interactions for our charging stations in the field
- Lead the prototyping of new mechanical interactions for our stations for ease of use and maintenance
- Work with our operations and software teams to develop and implementing testing procedures for new mechanical and electrical components
- Contribute to the ideation of new capabilities with our product line by combining customer insights and business needs into engineering requirements
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships
- Manage more junior engineers and/or contractors as needed through the design and development process
- Ownership of engineering drawings and documentation across the Volta hardware product family.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in hardware development
- 3+ years experience in facilitating contract manufacturing processes
- 3+ years of Solidworks CAD experience (or equivalent)
- Experience in managing prototyping and engineering projects
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping techniques (3D printing, laser cutting, CNC)
- A desire to move fast and break things, balanced with the aim to build robust long-lasting solutions for the field
- Excited by the current EV revolution
- Familiarity working with the following materials and processes: sheet metal bending, CNC milling, glass paneling, and concrete
- Experience developing products in outdoor environments and long life-cycles
- Familiarity with charging systems
- Familiarity with software systems