Director of Government Relations
San Francisco, CA
Our goal is to work with partners and build infrastructure that inspires and electrifies communities. This not only helps increase EV adoption, but our network also sparks individual change and catalyzes broader change in the world. The Volta approach encourages partners to join us in driving mobility forward and this allows us to spark rapid change for a better tomorrow.
Volta is building a nation-wide network of free-to-use EV chargers. We place our stations on private land and in the public right-of-way both to support the growing EV community and to inspire people to switch to a sustainable mode of transportation.
We are pioneering public-private partnership for the 21st century, providing cities with free infrastructure and helping them achieve their goals of accelerating EV adoption. Our products are American-made and we bring high-quality construction jobs to all cities that partner with us.
Your campaign, policy, communication skills, and analytical abilities, combined with your commitment to public service, will help shape Volta's vision. As a core part of a growing municipal team, you will not only help cities leverage Volta's smart technology platform to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles but also to help communities grow and transform in to greener and more vibrant areas.
This position will be based in San Francisco. There will be extensive travel required to major cities in the United States at least 50% of the time.
- Develop partnerships with municipal governments that result in master agreements, targeting key cities in the top 20 municipalities in the US
- Affect public policy decisions through lobbying and public policy analysis
- Develop new business through regular interactions with city staff, EV advocates and elected officials
- Lead senior level meetings in the public affairs arena
- Develop and execute strategic plans for approaching major municipalities
- Successfully leverage existing relationships, including but not limited to, those in major municipalities (cities over 1 million people)
- Identify trends in the public affairs space and share internally with sales management, marketing, and product teams
- Report on account development and sales progress via Salesforce
- Commitment to using technology to improve people’s lives
- Experience working in statewide and national political campaigns as well as in policy roles at the federal or statewide level
- Familiarity with technology and transportation, with a preference for background in green energy, batteries, electric vehicles or other related industries
- Education: Bachelor's Degree or higher, with a focus on economics, public policy or government preferred. JD or Masters degree in public policy valued
- Work experience: 5+ years campaign and public policy experience, 3+ years focus on technology or transportation valued
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as great listening skills
- Goal-oriented personality with a commitment to team success, a strong work ethic and communicate best practices internally
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, and an entrepreneurial attitude, work independently and operate in an open and fluid environment
- Experience working in fast-paced, startup/growth stage companies and campaign a plus
- Self-starting, proactive, high energy and high integrity work habits
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel), Salesforce