Lead Engineer, Cloud
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
At Volta we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
This is an opportunity to contribute in a number of ways to our Software Engineering department and the evolution of the company itself. For this role, you will be a principal code contributor and own the technical aspects of infrastructure and services running in the cloud. Our services ingest and expose data on a variety of interfaces like our internal web application, automated reporting mechanisms, and the multi-platform Volta mobile app.
Our stack is primarily NodeJS AWS Lambda functions deployed using the Serverless Application Model (SAM) and exposed to the world using AWS API Gateway (REST and WebSockets). We use DynamoDB at the center of a real time event-driven state machine, which processes data and persists it to PostgreSQL for analysis and data sharing.
The Cloud Team is responsible for all internal and external API creation, documentation, deployment, and maintenance. We are also responsible for developing tools and processes to improve deployment efficiency for all teams that deploy to the cloud. We value creativity, curiosity and taking ownership.
This position will be based in San Francisco and will report to the Manager Software Engineer, Cloud.
- Lead by example with humility, engender respect, and build trust
- Implement solutions predominantly on AWS using CloudFormation, NodeJS Lambda functions, SNS, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL
- Design, implement, and test APIs to handle events from our fleet of charging stations
- Identify ways to optimize data ingestion as our pipeline scales
- Provide a concise and consolidated view of the state of our platform in real time for logging and alerting
- Prototype and build APIs to expose data to stakeholders via GraphQL and REST endpoints
- Build internal code promotion tooling to coordinate feature releases in parallel and remove bottlenecks/blockers from day-to-day developer experience
- Mentor and guide the team on cloud tools and distributed architecture best practices, and review code with empathy
- 10+ years relevant working experience
- 5+ years experience deploying to Amazon Web Services
- Computer Science-type Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrable knowledge of the field
- Expert level NodeJS and familiarity with modern ECMAScript features
- Experience troubleshooting AWS Lambda execution with CloudWatch or other tools
- Experience with microservice architectures and managing evolving patterns as systems scale
- Proficiency with partitioning, schema, and query design for relational and document databases—we use PostgreSQL and DynamoDB
- Experience with CI/CD systems—we use CircleCI—and building out deployment workflows across dev, staging, and production
- Interest in researching and experimenting with new technologies outside of core responsibilities
- Experience with services orchestration/choreography tools (Terraform)
- Experience building internal code promotion tooling
- Passionate about the Electric Vehicles, renewable energy, and the future of transportation