Software Engineer (Node, Docker, Linux) Returnship
Volta is building a nation-wide network of free-to-use EV chargers. We place our stations at the highest profile locations within a city and our advertising sponsors provide charging as a free, open-access service, both to support the growing EV community and to inspire people to switch to a sustainable mode of transportation. Our unique sponsored services model combines digital, real-world advertising with EV charging in a new and unique way. With Volta, everyone wins. And above all, your work will impact the way the world moves to a greener environment.
By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute in a number of ways to our Software Engineering department and the evolution of the company itself. For this role, you will help own services running on our charging stations and in the cloud alike. The services do everything from recording sensor data to controlling station components. This role is based at our Headquarters in San Francisco.
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Volta is for professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. If selected, you’ll receive 16 weeks of paid employment while doing work you love for the world's most influential free-to-use EV Charging company . You’ll have the chance to update your skills, add new experience to your resume, and make new professional connections. You’ll also receive support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
The program is open to anyone who has at least 4 years of professional experience and has been out of the paid workforce for several years to focus on caregiving. If you meet these criteria and your skills match our needs, we welcome you to apply.
- Prototype with new components and sensors on the stations
- Work closely with other members of the product team to design new user interactions with the stations
- Help build a reliable and self-monitoring network, with minimal downtime
- Hold architecture and design reviews with other team members
- Manage the deployment and lifecycle of your code
- 2+ years using and deploying with Linux, we use Ubuntu
- 2+ years experience using Docker
- 4+ Experience with Node
- Experience with microservice or event-based architectures
- Very comfortable writing scripts (bash, sh)
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment - "in the trenches" of multiple development projects with high level of self-motivation and directness
- Top-notch, demonstrable documentation and communication skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and self manage goals
- Experience with microservices
- Previous experience at a start-up
- Fascination for green technologies and transportation
- You drive an electric vehicle!
Volta is building a nation-wide network of free-to-use EV chargers. We place our stations at the highest profile locations within a city and our advertising sponsors provide charging as a free, open-access service, both to support the growing EV community and to inspire people to switch to a sustainable mode of transportation. The sponsored services model combined with digital, adaptive media brings real-world advertising and EV charging into the 21st century. With Volta, everyone wins.