Genomics Sequencing Technician
Cambridge, MA /
Application Development /
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new capabilities with our proprietary fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, we are developing the future of automation and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in life sciences. We are at an exciting inflection point as we emerge out of stealth mode and scale up. Alongside our collaborators, we have demonstrated powerful and unique competencies that are now being developed into robust products for the decentralization of Next Generation Sequencing. This beachhead application is on the bleeding edge of innovation and adoption, and we intend to shape the future with our paradigm shifting platform.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. We take pride in having a wealth of internal knowledge and experiences across all aspects of technology, and we hope that you can add fresh perspectives to that! We strive to build a community of collaborative, disruptive, and respectful team members who feel empowered to be themselves every day.
You will be joining the Applications Development team at Volta Labs and be responsible for running analytical assays to characterize next generation sequencing (NGS) samples. You are also expected to support general laboratory processes such as receiving and maintaining inventory of cell lines, blood and DNA samples. This role will work very closely with an excellent team of senior and junior scientists and has a high opportunity for learning cutting edge NGS sample preparation.
- Perform routine tests on NGS samples using the appropriate analytical instruments (such as Femto, CHEFmapper, Tapestation, qPCR) by following established SOPs.
- Receive and process samples (blood, cells, etc.)
- Conduct DNA extraction and maintain cells to support projects
- Keep track of laboratory consumables and reagents inventory on a regular basis and order supplies as needed
- Document and summarize all the results on Benchling
- Maintain equipment in proper working order and a clean work area
- Work closely with a cross-functional team consisting of biologists, hardware engineers, and software developers
Requirements and Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biological sciences
- 1-2+ years of experience in a biology lab
- Excellent pipetting skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and documentation skills
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, and vision coverage, and unlimited paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!