Scientist/Senior Scientist - Nucleic Acid Extraction
Seaport District, Boston, MA
Application Development /
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
Volta is building a suite of genomics applications for its disruptive digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. As a key team member, reporting to the Head of Applications Development and collaborating closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and engineers, you will take on the role of a Scientist dedicated to the design and creation of nucleic acid extraction applications specifically tailored for the Volta platform.
- Oversee multiple nucleic acid extraction application development projects, overseeing the entire lifecycle from feasibility to design, development, verification, validation, and design transfer.
- Engage in hands-on work, adeptly identifying and addressing challenges, systematically troubleshooting, and creatively resolving complex issues.
- Lead experimental design, guide data analysis and reporting, and reviewing project outcomes.
- Translate requirements into a comprehensive development plan, collaborating closely with the Program Manager to manage deliverables, timelines and resources.
- Manage and mentor junior RA(s), providing guidance in their daily tasks.
- Collaborate closely with hardware and software engineers to design, develop and optimize applications ensuring optimal chemistry performance and user experience.
- Conduct regular design reviews and communicate updates to the broader team.
- Stay updated on the latest advancements in next-generation sequencing technologies, applications and sample prep methods and chemistries through scientific literature, conference attendance, customer interaction, contributing insights to the Applications Development roadmap.
- PhD in bioengineering, molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 0-2 years for Scientist / 3+ years for Senior Scientist of relevant experience in developing and launching products (reagents, applications and/or instrumentation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
- A thorough understanding of nucleic acids, and methods including chemistry, workflows, and instrumentation, for their isolation, purification, analysis and manipulation.
- Practical experience in nucleic acid extractions from human whole blood, cell lines, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- Prior experience in genomics assay development, demonstrating your ability to contribute to cutting-edge genomics research.
- Able to creatively and methodically solve complex problems, with a capacity to grasp both overarching concepts and intricate details.
- Familiarity with formal product design and development processes is a plus, particularly for Senior Scientist applicants.
- A track record of successful collaboration in a diverse, interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!