Senior Firmware Engineer
Seaport District, Boston, MA
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
We are looking for an experienced firmware engineer to own the firmware layer of the embedded software stack and bridge the gap between electronics and application processing. This is a high-impact role that contributes directly to Volta's growth. You will become the expert on Volta's firmware and ensure the successful deployment of embedded software at customer sites.
This role will be part of the Instrument Software team at Volta. This small but mighty team is responsible for all software controlling the instrument. The tech stack is primarily Python 3 and C++, with ReactJS, and Typescript used for the instrument UI. Our software has been deployed in some of the foremost research institutions in the world. Areas of work include firmware, instrument control, real-time video processing, and telemetry. Join us if you are passionate about the interaction of software, hardware, and biology and want to define the future of automation in the life sciences!
- Work closely with the electrical engineering and instrument software teams to write code that connects hardware to the outside world
- Design, develop, and maintain firmware to interface with data converters, sensors, and other peripheral devices on our custom PCBs
- Use standard electrical lab equipment to test and debug interfaces to hardware subsystems, creating hardware test stands and software testing tools as needed
- Create processes and tools to bring up, boot, and field upgrade firmware on the system’s microcontrollers
- Understand circuit designs and electrical schematics of instrument subsystems
- Assist the electrical engineering team in selecting microcontrollers and processors to ensure they are appropriately sized
- Proactively identify technical risks and devise mitigation strategies
- Communicate effectively with cross-functional stakeholders and build alignment toward specific solutions.
- BS or higher in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a similar field, or equivalent experience
- Firmware: This senior-level role requires strong hands-on experience designing and developing driver and application-level firmware, bootloaders, and related low-level functionality using C/C++ in bare-metal and modern RTOS environments. You have a proven ability to program ARM microcontrollers and communication interfaces like UART, SPI, I2C, GPIO, and USB.
- Hardware: You should have extensive experience using lab instrumentation, like logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc., to debug firmware code at the hardware level. Additionally, you understand circuit designs and electrical schematics of instrument subsystems. The ability to design simple PCBs is a big plus.
- Startup orientation: Volta is an early-stage startup. To succeed at Volta, you must have a "get it done" mindset and be willing to step outside your usual job role to ensure project success. You should be able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with ambiguous requirements and evolving priorities.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!