Principal Mechanical Engineer - Thermals
Cambridge, MA /
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new capabilities with our proprietary fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, we are developing the future of automation and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in life sciences. We are at an exciting inflection point as we emerge out of stealth mode and scale up. Alongside our collaborators, we have demonstrated powerful and unique competencies that are now being developed into robust products for the decentralization of Next Generation Sequencing. This beachhead application is on the bleeding edge of innovation and adoption, and we intend to shape the future with our paradigm shifting platform.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. We take pride in having a wealth of internal knowledge and experiences across all aspects of technology, and we hope that you can add fresh perspectives to that! We strive to build a community of collaborative, disruptive, and respectful team members who feel empowered to be themselves every day.
Volta Labs is seeking a highly experienced Principal Thermal Engineer to lead the research and development of thermal sensing and control technology for Volta Lab’s automation platform.
How you will contribute:
- As a Thermal Mechanical Engineer at Volta you will design, analyze, prototype and ship thermal systems.
- Create mechanical and electrical designs designs with a special focus on developing heating / cooling systems, meet thermal requirements and material selection to ensure that all systems meet thermal and mechanical performance requirements.
- Design and analyze heaters, temperature sensors, and insulation, from first-principles hand calculations to detailed numerical modeling with analysis software.
- Build, test, and refine designs in both standalone and system-level test beds.
- Identify viable thermal designs, establish system requirements and hardware specifications, and source components for prototypes and shipping products.
- Manage system temperatures within proper operating ranges through the use of radiation, conduction, and convection for our hardware and control systems.
- Experience working with and programming for microcontrollers, ADCs, and sensors using Python or Arduino programming.
- Partner with manufacturing engineers to finalize designs for production.
- Demonstrate a deep practical understanding of fundamental heat transfer principles.
- 5+ years industry experience, with specific experience working on thermal systems.
- Experience taking a product through an entire life-cycle, from concept through DFM and shipping, preferably in the life sciences tools industry.
- Expertise in instrumentation for thermal systems (working with thermocouples, RTDs, infrared imaging)
- Familiar with a variety of manufacturing techniques including printed circuit boards, injection molding and sheet metal fabrication.
- Prototype and test your own designs.
- Strong working knowledge of three-dimensional simulation tools, such as Comsol, Ansys or similar.
- Programming and scientific computing skills (Ex: Python, Matlab)
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, and vision coverage, and unlimited paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!