Software Engineer II
Seaport District, Boston, MA
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
Volta is seeking a talented and driven Software Engineer excited to solve complex cross-disciplinary problems in developing and integrating our novel instrument platform. In this role, you will work on a variety of software projects spanning both customer-facing products and internal tools.
This role will be part of the Software Engineering team at Volta. We are a small but mighty team responsible for all software activities within the company. We build the entire product software stack (firmware to the cloud) along with internal systems for ingesting and analyzing experimental data. Our tech stack includes C++, Python 3, ReactJS, TypeScript, Grafana, and AWS, and our software has been deployed in some of the foremost research institutions in the world. Areas of work include firmware, instrument control, lab automation, telemetry, and cloud computing. Join us if you want to work at the intersection of software, hardware, and biology and define the future of automation in the life sciences!
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including hardware engineers, scientists, and product managers, to define requirements and timelines
- Design, develop, and maintain features for customer-facing products and internal tools
- Debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex software errors, taking ownership of the resolution process
- Deploy software updates to fleets of instruments and monitor them to provide a stable instrument platform for end users
- Document software design, implementation, and testing procedures to ensure clarity and maintainability
- Participate in code reviews, follow company coding standards, and write unit tests
- Contribute to the overall success of the team by proactively identifying opportunities for process improvement and innovation
- BS or higher in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience in software development using Python 3 on Linux
- Proficiency in web development technologies, specifically ReactJS / Typescript / HTML / CSS5
- Extensive experience with software development best practices like static typing, unit testing, version control, and continuous integration
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to work independently and adapt to changing priorities.
- Experience developing software to control hardware
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, specifically AWS
- Experience with fast-paced startup environments with continuously evolving requirements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
- Keen interest in learning about molecular biology and genomics
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!