Senior Electrical Engineer
Seaport District, Boston, MA /
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
- Design and build prototypes and production electronic systems, including circuit design, PCB layout, embedded firmware development, bring up and validation
- Go beyond the board -- design sensing, motion, electrowetting, magnetic field actuation and thermal management systems around off-the-shelf and custom components
- Back up your design decisions with data gathered through simulations and experiments
- Grow into owning system-level architecture and mentoring other engineers
- M. S. or B. S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Applied Physics or a related field with 4+ years of relevant experience in an industry / research position.
- Strong systems level thinking in designing complex electrical systems.
- Experience with designing mixed signal circuits, high voltage systems, power electronics.
- Experience developing systems with digital logic and embedded processors (ARM, AVR, Raspberry Pi).
- Design, layout and fabrication of printed circuit boards using Altium Designer, KiCad, Eagle or similar tool.
- Programming in one more languages C, C++, Python.
- Ability to work in a fast based start-up work environment with ability to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to clearly articulate ideas and concepts with biologists, engineers and non-scientists.
- Excellent organization and task planning skills and capability for multi-tasking.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
NICE TO HAVE
- Strong knowledge of electromagnetism and draw toward solving physics problems.
- Experience with CAD systems such as Fusion 360, Solidworks and COMSOL (physics simulation).
- Experience in developing life sciences tools, medical instruments and laboratory hardware or similar hard technologies.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
- Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
- HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
- Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
- 12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
- Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
- 10 Paid Federal Holidays
- Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
- Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
- Monthly Team Happy Hours
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!