Senior Mechanical Engineer - Consumables
Seaport District, Boston, MA /
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
Volta Labs is seeking a creative, collaborative, and well-rounded mechanical engineer to take on the design and development of the consumable used on the Volta Labs platform. The ideal candidate will have experience bringing a highly-regulated consumable to market in a fast-paced and multidisciplinary environment. Familiarity with molecular biology and contract manufacturing is a plus. Responsibilities for this role will follow the complete lifecycle of the Volta Labs consumable, from prototyping and design through to manufacturing and V&V.
How you will contribute:
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to identify requirements from engineering, biology, software, product, manufacturing, and end-users
- Successfully develop a consumable for the Volta Labs platform that meets this wide and multidisciplinary set of requirements
- Develop a comprehensive set of product documentation to support the manufacturing of consumable
- Work with external vendors to procure components and develop packaging for consumable
- Liaise with contract manufacturers to develop a manufacturing plan and bring up manufacturing line(s) for consumable
- Develop verification and validation tests suitable for regulatory compliance efforts
- Make recommendations to Volta leadership on building out organizational infrastructure to support consumable
- Manage project milestones, schedule, cost, and qualification efforts
- Participate in design reviews and provide engineering support for the broader product team
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related field with 3-5 years of product development experience
- Experience managing projects with both internal and external stakeholders (including vendor and supplier management).
- Proficiency with Solidworks or other 3D CAD software
- Comfortable with prototyping methods including 3D printing, general machine shop fabrication, and hands-on assembly
- Familiarity with high-volume manufacturing processes including injection molding and automated packaging equipment
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information and present it to specialists and non-specialists.
Qualifications considered a plus:
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements, quality systems, and Good Manufacturing Practices for life sciences and IVD laboratory equipment.
- Experience launching a consumable in a regulated industry
- Familiarity with molecular biology or life sciences
- You have a successful track record working with cross-functional development teams.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!