Software Engineering Lead
Seaport District, Boston, MA
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
As the software engineering lead you will drive the development of the core-instrument software. You will expand and improve upon our software stack that includes: Python and Linux as well as front-end web interfaces. You will work closely with both engineers and scientists to expand upon existing functionality and implement entirely new features. You will also help to develop a scalable continuous integration platform that will maintain, expand, and automate our deployment processes for software across multiple instruments and applications. You will drive and implement our software development process. As well as manage and maintain our software development tools such Jira and GitHub.
- Lead the design and development of top-level software architecture for both instrument control and cloud-based systems.
- Work closely with the product team to define and articulate detailed software features based on product requirements.
- Take charge of the software development lifecycle, including scoping, scheduling, resource allocation, and project management.
- Mentor junior team members, providing guidance, and support to achieve project objectives.
- M.S or B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience (prefer experience in a hardware/robotics/capital equipment).
- 3+ years leading engineers and SW development projects
- Extensive experience with Python, Linux and application development including testing and deployment best practices.
- Experience leading the development of production quality code in a real product.
- Experience managing change and software releases.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information and present it to specialists and non-specialists.
- Experience with setting up and managing Jira, Confluence and GitHub
NICE TO HAVE:
- Familiarity with embedded development (ARM-Cortex M0-M4, STM32)
- Familiarity with laboratory data management technologies (LIMS, ELN)
- Familiarity with modern cloud technologies and security (AWS, Azure, GCP, Docker, etc. )
- Familiarity with emerging technologies, frameworks, and trends in image processing, computer vision, and machine learning
- A portfolio of your past work that you can share
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!