Systems Integration Lead - Fluidics
Seaport District, Boston, MA
Application Development /
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
Reporting to the Head of Applications Development and working closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and Scientists, this Team Lead will be responsible for integrating genomic applications on the Volta Labs fluidics platform and contributing to internal process improvements. They will lead a team of integration engineers. The System Integration Lead will play a pivotal role in advancing our cutting-edge platform technologies and driving the integration of complex systems to meet the evolving needs of our customers and the industry.
- Drive the automation of complex biochemical workflows on Volta Labs' technology platform technologies, leveraging extensive expertise in droplet fluidics, liquid handling, workflow automation and biochemistry.
- Lead and execute high-complexity integration projects, ensuring seamless operation of integrated systems with a focus on onboarding, validation and verification of critical genomics applications on the platform.
- Provide technical leadership within the Systems Integration Engineering team, mentoring and guiding junior engineers, and taking ownership of key projects.
- Play a pivotal role in decision-making regarding technology selection and architectural choices for integration projects.
- Be the go-to expert for resolving the most challenging integration issues, applying innovative problem-solving skills.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional development teams, fostering a collaborative environment with the engineering, software and biology team to achieve project objectives.
- MS/Ph.D in engineering, physics, chemistry, molecular biology or equivalent field of study with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in product or process development (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Possess 7+ years of experience with hands-on experimentation of hardware/ instrumentation, preferably in life sciences
- Problem Solving: Excel at bringing structure to complex, unstructured problems, with a proven ability to research information, solve challenging technical issues, and manage projects under tight timelines
- Leadership and Mentorship: Exhibit leadership qualities, guiding and mentoring junior engineers, and taking ownership of high-impact projects.
- Integration Expertise: Demonstrate deep expertise in experimental plans for characterization, optimization, and root cause analysis of integrated electromechanical and microfluidic systems
- Laboratory Skills: Showcase strong experimental laboratory skills through a track record of work experience in the field
- Cross-functional Teamwork: A successful track record of working seamlessly with cross-functional development teams to achieve project goals.
- Automated Liquid Handling: Experience in operating and programming automated liquid handling systems, such as Hamilton, Tecan, Agilent, or similar platforms.
- Molecular Biology Integration: Proven proficiency in converting molecular biology laboratory tests, including PCR/qPCR, DNA assembly methods, and sequencing library preparation, into a liquid handling system, optimizing and automating these processes.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!