Senior Software Engineer
Reports To: Director of Technology
Location: Remote; all applicants are welcome
Salary Range: The salary range for the role of Senior Software Engineer is $110K - $135K for candidates based in SF, NYC or DC. The salary range will be adjusted based on cost of living data for folks who live in less expensive regions. Here’s why: we feel strongly that progressive organizations should optimize for a consistent standard of living for all employees.
VoteAmerica is a nonpartisan nonprofit that works to ensure that democracy still exists in the United States in 2021. We focus on increasing voter turnout by identifying and clearing roadblocks to voter participation. Given decades of active voter suppression, a global pandemic, hostile foreign interference, hostile domestic interference, the partisan hijacking of the DOJ, record-high joblessness, civil unrest, and about a dozen other things, we have our work cut out for us. Fortunately, we're not fucking around over here. We're a new org staffed by long-time politicos and voter turnout experts, and we're looking for other folks who aren't fucking around to join us. Learn more about our team here: www.voteamerica.com/team.
What we’re looking for:
VoteAmerica is seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer that can commit to a six month employment term to take a leading role in the development of Get Out The Vote web applications, primarily by architecting, developing, and deploying high-quality Python and React code to Amazon Web Services. The ideal candidate will have a passion for increasing voter participation, while being comfortable working collaboratively and swiftly on a small, all-remote engineering and product team. This position is an opportunity to develop new software products on tight deadlines to drive as many Americans as possible to the polls.
You’ll be working primarily with the Tech team under the direction of the Director of Technology, who has had nearly 15 years developing civic-focused technologies and web tools.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Expanding on full-stack applications using Python and React
- Writing clean and scalable Python and React code that can be publicly released
- Taking ownership of bugs and feature requests submitted by product and support teams
- Working in a solutions-oriented fashion with stakeholders across the organization
- Mentoring other developers, and assist in code review and troubleshooting of others’ code
- Participating in “on-call” rotations to respond to system outages
- Other tech and organizational projects as assigned. We’re working to increase voter turnout, not just write code.
You should meet the following minimum requirements:
- 5-7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer or similar role working on a user-facing web application
- An understanding of all parts of a full-stack web application. We currently use Django and React, and trust every engineer to jump in where needed
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Service and working in the AWS console
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with container-orchestration systems such as Kubernetes or Elastic Container Service
- Experience building civic participation tools
- Prior political, campaign, or organizing experience strongly preferred
- A passion for increasing civic participation during the 2020 election and beyond
Some of the benefits of working here:
- Outspoken, queer, female CEO
- Short commute. We all work from home and it is just the best.
- Parent friendly policies. If you need to take 3-5pm off every day to get your kids from school and make after school snacks, we're totally cool with that.
- Excellent medical coverage. Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous employer subsidies for dependent children.
- Generous time off. Unlimited paid vacation with leadership approval.
- Retirement. We offer a 401(k) because we want you to retire one day.
- Highly competent, down to earth, and humble team.
- Awesome slack channels. #pets, #politics, and #random are our favs.
How to apply:
You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions. We don't require a cover letter, because you don't want to write one and we don't want to read one.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis, and we will accept applications until the role is filled. We are, however, looking to fill this role ASAP, so you should apply as soon as you can.
VoteAmerica is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
We cannot provide sponsorship for those requiring visas or work permits.