SMS Program Coordinator
Programs and Research /
Reports To: Various
Location: Remote; all applicants are welcome
IF YOU HAVE RUN P2P SMS OUTREACH FOR A PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN PLEASE APPLY NOW
The compensation for this role is $5K/mo. This is a cycle role with a projected end date of November 30, 2020.
VoteAmerica is a 501(c)3 nonpartisan nonprofit staffed entirely by long-term political and campaign operatives. This isn't our first rodeo. We build technology, we pilot innovative ideas, and we scale quickly. Our team includes alums from 10 or so presidential campaigns. We take voter enfranchisement and turnout very seriously.
In 2016, our founder Debra Cleaver had the novel idea to buy the cell phone numbers of unregistered voters and hire humans to text them. At the time, Hustle was a 10 person company and no one other than the 2016 Bernie campaign had ever used P2P SMS. No one in DC would fund this work, since it seemed "crazy" and "likely to lead to lawsuits." So Cleaver pitched the Silicon Valley tech community, and predicted that this tactic would become common place by 2020. You can watch the pitch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4jfkhJGfs
Within 6 weeks of this pitch, Debra had raised over a million dollars for the program, hired over 100 paid texters, and sent millions of P2P SMS. In 2018, Debra hired just under 1000 paid texters, and sent about 40 million P2P SMS messages.
Now Debra and the VoteAmerica team are in full GOTV mode. We expect to send at least 100 million P2P SMS messages, and we're looking for two experienced folks to support this effort.
Reporting to the National P2P Program and National Text Out the Vote Managers and other VoteAmerica leaders to rapidly execute, support, and coordinate fast paced P2P SMS outreach programs to register voters, encourage them to signup for vote by mail, to return their ballots on time, and to actually vote this November.
Day to day responsibilities
- Generates campaigns and uploads approved scripts in Spoke, with assistance from broader team
- Manages existing systems to document campaign stats, including the Daily Texter Assignment Sheet and VoteAmerica Text Campaign Tracker
- Coordinates with National Text Out the Vote Program Manager to ensure volunteer opportunities are published and communicated to our volunteers.
- Coordinates weekly email communications, Slack updates, and maintenance of publicly facing volunteer events calendar
- Supports volunteers through the on-boarding process during virtual events and self guided training modules
- Ensures that new volunteer sign-ups receive a welcome message and information on getting started within 24 hours
- Supports with day to day Slack channel management of Paid P2P, Volunteer P2P, and Inbound Help Desk SMS
You should meet several of the following minimum requirements:
- Progressively responsible experience in online organizing, political campaigns, or field-based outreach
- Prior political, campaign, or organizing experience
- Past experience training remote teams
- Past experience scheduling work assignments for remote teams.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment within a complex remote organizational structure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, include a record of working successfully with a broad range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Apply immediate if you have the following:
- Experience designing and executing a nationwide distributed P2P SMS mobilization program.
- Experience running a P2P program for a presidential candidate
- Experience recruiting and training at least 50 remote canvassers or organizers
Some of the benefits of working here:
- Queer female founder and CEO
- Short commute. We all work remotely and it is just the best.
- Parent friendly policies. If you need to take 3-5pm off every day to get your kids from school and make after school snacks, we're totally cool with that.
- Excellent medical coverage. Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous employer subsidies for dependent children.
- Generous time off. Unlimited paid vacation with leadership approval.
- Retirement. We offer a 401(k) because we want you to retire one day.
- Highly competent, down to earth, and humble team.
- Awesome slack channels. #pets, #politics, and #random are our favs.
How to apply:
You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions. We don't require a cover letter, because you don't want to write one and we don't want to read one.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis, and we will accept applications until the role is filled. We are, however, looking to fill this role ASAP, so you should apply as soon as you can.
VoteAmerica is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
We cannot provide sponsorship for those requiring visas or work permits.