Washington, DC /
The Voter Formation Project (VFP) is a 501c(3) organization dedicated to increasing participation in local, state & national elections through digital communication, experimentation, and knowledge sharing. We are a new national organization committed to deploying and studying digital tactics, which requires marrying art with science to ultimately shift attitudes about civic participation and change voting behaviors.
The Media Planner is a member of the Program Department, and will work alongside a Media Buyer and other team members—as the organization expands—to execute Voter Formation Project’s programs. The Media Planner will be responsible for the day-to-day management of digital marketing campaigns. They will ensure that media projects are successfully planned and executed while contributing to the continual improvement of Voter Formation Project’s media strategies.
Internally, the Media Planner will work with team-members from across the organization. Externally, the Media Planner will develop strong relationships with vendors, ensuring the best possible inventory and rates, allowing Voter Formation Project to accomplish its goals to register and turn out members of under-represented communities. The Media Planner will be instrumental in ensuring that media strategies are aligned with overarching goals.
As the Media Planner you will:
- Lead and manage media campaign creation and execution with the guidance of Program Department leadership.
- Develop and continually improve upon VFP's media strategy.
- Develop, execute, and optimize digital campaigns from conception to launch.
- Work with internal stakeholders across the organization to align campaign strategies and goals.
- Communicate timing needs for campaign launch to internal stakeholders.
- Build out media buys for various ad platforms and oversee the day-to-day execution of media.
- Provide ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance.
- Review reports and develop smart analysis of VFP’s programs with well-informed optimization recommendations to make sure we are reaching our audiences.
- Work closely with Media Buyers and other team members to understand optimization needs and handle the implementation of any plan changes.
- Define, measure, and evaluate relevant media KPIs.
- Oversee and manage paid media budget.
- Conduct in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping, and audience targeting.
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 4+ years of experience in digital media, with substantial knowledge of the media planning role.
- Understanding of the types of targeting available within each platform so that you can recommend the best possible approach with each media plan.
- Comfort and skill with negotiating with vendors.
- Strong organizational abilities, to build, refine, maintain, and document processes.
- Ability to operate swiftly while ensuring that strong QA processes are in place in order to eliminate and avoid errors.
- Attention to (and a love for) the details.
- Relationship-building abilities that will allow you to form strong relationships with vendors to the benefit of VFP programs.
- Ability to operate efficiently, recognizing bottlenecks and creating and implementing process improvements.
- Energized to work in a start-up organization.
- Interest in continuous improvement and professional development, including staying up-to-date on best practices and platform changes.
- Enthusiasm for Voter Formation Project’s mission and vision.
Compensation, benefits, and culture
Starting salary for the Media Planner is $75,000 per year.
The Voter Formation Project does not negotiate starting salaries. All Voter Formation Project employees are formally reviewed twice annually, in December and June, for performance and compensation adjustments. New employees who are onboarded more than four months in advance of the next compensation review will receive off-cycle compensation review to ensure equitable alignment within their compensation band.
In addition to monetary compensation, the Voter Formation Project offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
→ Unlimited paid vacation (all benefits-eligible employees are required to take three weeks of vacation per year).
→ Parental leave and various other paid leave types.
→ Fully paid medical and dental insurance. Vision premiums are 75% covered.
→ Co-working or home office reimbursement.
While the Voter Formation Project is an organization that works in political cycles, we whole-heartedly reject campaign culture and are focused on developing new, healthy norms for campaign work—even in-cycle.