Senior Director of Data Management and Systems
Washington, D.C. /
Senior Leadership Team – Senior Leadership Team /
Position: Senior Director of Data Management and Systems
Reports to: Vice President
Organization Description: The Voter Participation Center (VPC) is the nation’s largest non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to registering and mobilizing voters from the New American Majority (NAM) – people of color, unmarried women and young people – who make up the majority of the potential electorate but have been historically underrepresented in political participation and power. Using direct mail, digital and social media outreach, guided by rigorous data science and experimentation, and working closely with a multitude of partner organizations, VPC connects with millions of voters each year, building the foundation for a more representative democracy.
Over 18 years VPC has helped more than 5.7 million people register to vote. In 2020, as COVID-19 shut down most forms of in-person voter contact, VPC helped more than 4.6 million people apply to vote by mail & cast ballots, registered more than 1.6 million people, and assisted millions of voters in voting early and safely to reduce pressures on polling places on Election Day.
VPC programs are flexible, nimble and scalable. VPC is driven by a commitment to constant research, testing, experimentation and evaluation, and thus offers many of the most cost effective, proven, high-impact programs in the civic engagement field.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is VPC’s partner organization, and is a separate but affiliated 501(c)4 non-profit that works to engage both the NAM as well as members of the broader electorate who share their values.
Position Description: The VPC and CVI are seeking a Senior Director of Data Management and Systems. Reporting to the Vice President, the Senior Director of Data Management and Systems will oversee the design and implementation of systems and technology used for managing data across the organization (data warehouses, data platforms, data visualization tools, etc.). The Senior Director of Data Management and Systems, and the Data Management and Systems department, will work in close partnership and collaboration with the Innovation, Learning and Impact Department, Data Science & Analytics Department, and the Program Department. The successful applicant requires technological skills, management ability, and clear communication including the ability to write clear memos. Successful applicants will be self-motivated, enthusiastic and work well in a team environment. This is a full-time position.
Specific Duties/Primary Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategy and processes for effective data management across all programs for both VPC and CVI
- Establish enterprise data architecture by unifying technology systems into a unified data database
- Formulate, revise, and implement procedures for quality data acquisition, collection, and management to ensure adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data
- Guide technology and vendor decisions related to data and analytics to ensure data is centralized, accessible, and actionable for use across all programs for both VPC and CVI
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades, etc.)
- Support others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to legal and company standards
- Support data analysts and data scientists conducting randomized control trials, modeling, and other analytic projects
- Collaborate with data analysts and data scientists on applying learnings from analytic projects to data
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management, individual departments, external stakeholders, etc.
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage improvements
- Assist with recognizing and upholding digital security systems to protect sensitive information
- 5+ years of experience working in data management
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field, or similar professional training and experience in these fields
- Experience on campaigns or with political committees or nonprofit organizations
- Ability to prioritize multiple time-sensitive projects at one time and work under tight deadlines
- Experience with data warehouses, data platforms and data integration tools
- Previous experience managing databases and data acquisition
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Experience collaborating on and supporting data analysis and data science projects
- Extreme attention to detail along with excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Experience managing staff and/or consultants and excellent collaboration skills
- Experience working with principals
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude
- Fluency in GoogleSuite
- 7-12 years of experience with campaigns, political committees, direct marketing or nonprofit organizations
- Experience with civic engagement and/or progressive political nonprofit organizations at the state and/or national level
- Strong experience preparing reports and data visualization
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $160,000 annually, commensurate with experience. This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees; generous paid time off; access to retirement plan with 3% employer match, and more.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for VPC-CVI. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by November 1, 2021 for early consideration. References are not contacted until you are notified.
VPC-CVI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. We strongly value the leadership of people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and other traditionally marginalized communities, and encourage candidates from these communities to apply.
We strive to create and maintain a working environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. At VPC-CVI, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals.