Lead Audio/Video Engineer
The workplace is getting more distributed. Over the last decade, the biggest advances in productivity have come from new full stack, collaborative tools that manage distributed work. Code has Github. Design has Figma. What about meetings?
The most important stuff in every company is happening in meetings. But our meeting tools were designed in an era when meetings were almost always in person. Today’s meeting tools let you see and hear each other. That’s it. Vowel is a full stack meeting OS that actually helps you have better meetings, collaborate more effectively, and surface insightful team metrics and trends.
Our team has strong experience starting and running VC-backed companies. Our investors include the same VCs who invested in leading software companies, including Stripe, Twilio, Airtable, Carta, Plaid, and Lever. Plus, our users love Vowel. We won Product of the Day, Product of the Week and the 2020 Golden Kitty Award for ⛱ Remote Work tool of the year on Product Hunt.
We are actively seeking a Lead Audio/Video engineer with significant front-end experience who will be responsible for implementing key features across our platform, including real-time audio and video streaming, network / infrastructure management and optimization, scaling our SFU and signaling infrastructure, and key RTC features across our web, mobile, and desktop apps.
Ideal candidates are naturally curious and self-aware, have a positive attitude, and are excited to learn new skills. Additionally, having empathy, being self-motivated, and a keen interest in mentoring other engineers (as well as an openness to feedback from others) are also important criteria for candidates.
What you'll do
- You will lead a team of brilliant engineers to help build Vowel’s Audio/Video infrastructure to ensure the highest standards in stability and performance
- Work closely with other engineers to implement and architect new AV features
- Manage and monitor the production infrastructure to ensure optimal network performance and call quality
- Work directly with leadership and other key team members to scale the Vowel platform across desktop and mobile browsers, as well as native mobile and desktop clients
- You will help scale the team as the company grows
- Help coordinate new releases
What we look for
- Strong familiarity with the internals of the JVM, including debugging and profiling
- Solid understanding of web-rtc, as well as relevant browser standards and concepts
- Solid understanding of RTP, ICE, VOIP, TURN, and RTC networking fundamentals
- Familiarity with SFU architecture
- Advanced experience developing for cloud platforms, such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Familiarity with test-driven and continuous integration approaches to improve code quality and team collaboration
- Experience developing, supporting, and scaling a distributed, high-performance, high-traffic SaaS Platform
Extras we'd love to see
- Familiarity with React-Native and native mobile app development
- Familiarity with audio and video codecs, such as Opus, AAC, VP8, VP9
- Familiarity with the Chromium / web-rtc codebase, as well as emerging standards, such as WebCodecs and InsertableStreams
- Experience testing and debugging webrtc performance using webrtc-internals
- Experience developing multithreaded, asynchronous systems
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes
- Fully remote post-covid; work from anywhere that makes you most productive and fulfilled
- Flexible Time Off; work with your manager to build a schedule that allows you and your family to be at your best
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Remote office setup stipend
Vowel embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.