Legal & Regulatory Counsel
Palo Alto, California or Remote /
Legal & Policy /
Voyage is delivering on the promise of self-driving cars.
Voyage has built the technology and services to bring autonomous transportation to those who need it most, beginning in retirement communities. Whether residents face mobility restrictions or just want to take a ride, Voyage takes pride in getting all our passengers to their destination safely, efficiently, and affordably. Our journey begins in calmer communities, but we won't stop until anyone, anywhere can summon a Voyage.
Voyage is hiring a talented and energetic in-house counsel to help build out our Legal team. You will get to work on numerous cutting-edge legal, regulatory, policy and compliance issues surrounding the development of our autonomous vehicle technology and rideshare service. This generalist role will tackle a wide variety of topics including, contracts and transactions, privacy, cybersecurity, safety, IP (patents and trademark), risk, and HR.
You will counsel our engineering and product teams on legal requirements for our technology and support them in corporate and commercial transactions. You will help build a compliance culture as we look to secure regulatory approval to operate. And you will help ensure a robust culture of safety across the organization.
- Serve as a first port-of-call for all legal issues that arise within the company
- Manage day-to-day activities of outside counsel and legal budgets
- Work cross-functionally with other orgs to ensure a culture of safety
- Serve as a product counsel to inform our tech roadmap
- Partner with business teams across the org and outside counsel to develop commercial agreements with our partners
- Support legal aspects of financing and fundraising efforts
- Build out a corporate compliance program (e.g., regulatory, FCPA, payments, data protection, insurance, privacy issues)
- Actively develop and manage Voyage’s intellectual property portfolio
- Work with HR on a variety of organizational and employment issues
- Implement best practices in legal operations (e.g streamlined contracting, organized record retention, efficient document collection)
- Other duties may include advising on general corporate, vendor relationships. risk management, and regulatory affairs
- Experienced attorney with 5+ years of relevant legal experience, ideally at a top law firm and/or in-house legal department or government agency
- Accredited law degree from a highly regarded school
- Admission to the bar and a current license in one or more states
- Demonstrated fast learner who can navigate new areas or functions of law adeptly and can navigate ambiguity
- Substantive experience with one or more internal company functions or areas of law (e.g., compliance, negotiating complex legal agreements, regulatory, IP, privacy).
- Highly responsive and service oriented with excellent legal and business judgment
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting Voyage’s legal interests
- Execution-oriented with ability to manage multiple projects with short deadlines and to be detail-oriented while also prioritizing the most critical legal issues
- Eagerness to work in a startup environment and roll up your sleeves as an individual contributor within an emerging industry
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment and cross-functionally, with ability to present to senior management as well as work with engineering and operations teams
Nice to Have:
- Strong interest in autonomous technology and transportation regulation
- Experience working at a technology company or fast-growing startup
- Experience working in government or politics
- Experience working in highly-regulated industries
- Experience supporting and partnering with product and engineering teams
- Experience managing outside vendors or counsel
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.