New York City, NY
Vroom.com is a venture-backed, fast-growing start-up focused on revolutionizing the car buying experience. Our approach is unique in that we recondition pre-owned vehicles to a high standard, sell online, and deliver anywhere across the US. We have experienced tremendous growth in our first 5 years of operation and have become a disruptive force in the automotive industry. Vroom is an exciting, accelerating workplace, and there's no better time to join the team than right now.
We are seeking a bright, experienced, and highly motivated attorney to join our growing legal team as Compliance Counsel. In this role, you will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer and head up our compliance function including oversight of Vroom's compliance with legal and regulatory requirements on both the state and federal level. Our business model is outside of the traditional used car dealership structure, making the ideal candidate someone who can nimbly assess and advise on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach. In addition, because we are a small legal team, you will need to be a team player who is flexible and willing to roll up your sleeves and help cover the day-to-day legal needs of the organization.
- Lead Vroom’s regulatory compliance strategy for applicable laws and regulations relating to automobile dealers, consumer finance, and consumer protection, among other areas
- Work closely with internal business partners to provide strategic and pragmatic legal advice on regulatory issues, including understanding, interpreting, and applying current laws and regulations to Vroom’s existing and prospective products and services
- Manage and conduct internal compliance investigations, risk assessments, and audits
- Assist in the design and implementation of company-wide compliance programs, initiatives, and trainings
- Represent Vroom before regulators and other relevant parties across the country
- Manage outside counsel in your areas of expertise
- Handle contract review and negotiation, escalated customer disputes, and general legal issues that arise in the ordinary course of business in support of stakeholders across the company
- Travel domestically as needed
- J.D. from a top-tier law school
- Member of the NY bar and in good standing
- 9+ years’ experience practicing law at a leading law firm, in-house, or at a government regulatory agency
- Experience with relevant state and federal regulations in the retail automotive sector such as state auto dealer licensing and state auto finance requirements, FTC Used Car Rule, FCRA, TILA, ECOA, UDAP, and TCPA
- Experience developing approaches to legal challenges while providing business focused legal advice
- Experience leading projects with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience learning new areas of law and regulation in a variety of jurisdictions
- Experience with government affairs, public affairs, and policy
- Familiarity with a variety of commercial, marketing, and other technology-related agreements
- Ability to multitask, work independently, and carry out important projects with limited oversight
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Direct experience before federal or state regulatory bodies (e.g., FTC, state DMVs) (Preferred)
- Privacy expertise a plus
This full-time role offers competitive compensation; health, dental, and vision insurance through United Healthcare; a 401k plan; fully company-paid short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance; access to a healthcare concierge service with virtual visits; and 15 annualized days of paid vacation.
But our biggest benefit is being part of a low-ego, high performing team that's transforming the used car market into a modern, online and data-driven industry. We are looking for people who want to be a part of a contemporary startup culture. What gets us out of bed is working with talented people on a mission that matters.
If you think you might be who we’re looking for, apply below with your resume and a cover letter telling us why you think you’d be a great addition to the team.