New York City, NY
Vroom.com is a venture-backed, fast-growing start-up focused on revolutionizing the car buying experience. Our approach is unique in that we recondition pre-owned vehicles to a high standard, sell online, and deliver anywhere across the US. We have experienced tremendous growth in our first 5 years of operation and have become a disruptive force in the automotive industry. Vroom is an exciting, accelerating workplace, and there's no better time to join the team than right now.
We are currently seeking an Assistant Controller with a strong attention to detail, well-developed organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to manage a team. In this role, you'll be responsible for supervision and oversight of accounting functions, including the month and quarter end close and annual financial statement audits. The Assistant Controller will also be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the closing and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
- Manage a team of finance professionals, guiding them and overseeing their career progression
- Review monthly accounting close process including analytical review of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained
- Prepare and/or review balance sheet account reconciliations and workpapers to ensure integrity of financial information
- Ensure accurate and timely production of all financial reporting in accordance with US GAAP
- Support audit engagements including managing and coordinating with auditors and external service providers, and preparation/review of audited financial statements and footnote disclosures
- Identify process and control improvement opportunities and work with management and peers to implement appropriate changes
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective SOX internal controls and processes to optimize the close and reporting cycles while ensuring accuracy
- Ensure data integrity resulting in a single source of truth for all financial information provided by our organization both internally and externally
- Review the company's accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances
- Maintain a solid understanding of accounting policies and stay current on changes in GAAP
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Master's Degree in Accounting or Finance is a plus
- 10-15 years experience in the Accounting field with a blend of public accounting and private industry experience
- 5+ years experience managing a team
- Public company and IPO experience a plus
- Knowledge of finance and accounting, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Ability to present results and business insights to various stakeholders in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to coordinate projects and motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage multiple initiatives
- Strong communicator who can distill complex and/or technical financial concepts, while providing strategic viewpoints
- Ability to carry out tasks autonomously and collaboratively
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure, commitment to timely task completion a must
This full-time role offers competitive compensation; health, dental, and vision insurance through United Healthcare; a 401k plan; fully company-paid short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance; access to a healthcare concierge service with virtual visits; and 15 annualized days of paid vacation.
But our biggest benefit is being part of a low-ego, high performing team that's transforming the used car market into a modern, online and data-driven industry. We are looking for people who want to be a part of a contemporary startup culture. What gets us out of bed is working with talented people on a mission that matters.
If you think you might be who we’re looking for, apply below with your resume and a cover letter telling us why you think you’d be a great addition to the team.