Senior Director of Engineering, Leasing
New York /
Engineering – Engineering /
VTS is commercial real estate’s leading leasing, marketing and asset management platform where deals happen and real-time data comes to life. The VTS Platform captures the largest first-party data source in the industry, which delivers real-time insights that fuel faster, more informed decision making and connections throughout the deal and asset lifecycle. VTS Data, the industry’s only forward-looking market dataset, and VTS Market and Marketplace, the industry’s first integrated online marketing solution, give landlords, brokers, and tenants unparalleled visibility into real-time market information and the direct connectivity to execute deals with greater speed and intelligence at every point in the planning, marketing, leasing, and asset management cycle.
More than 60% of Class A commercial space in the US and 12B square feet of commercial real estate globally is managed on the VTS platform. Our user base includes over 45,000 CRE professionals including respected industry leaders like Blackstone, Brookfield Properties, LaSalle Investment Management, Hines, Boston Properties, Oxford Properties, JLL, and CBRE.
We recently made the Forbes Cloud 100 list of the hottest private cloud companies, and were named one of Crain's best places to work! Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have hubs in other major US cities, Toronto, CA, and London, UK.
Learn more at vts.com or follow us on Instagram (@WeAreVTS), Twitter (@WeAreVTS), or LinkedIn.
Are you wondering about how VTS has adapted to a WFH environment? Read our blog post here to find out!
How does this position help VTS succeed?
As a senior leader within the engineering team, you’ll help translate our vision of accelerating the way landlords and tenants plan, market, lease, and manage space. Reporting to the VP, Engineering, you will lead the VTS Leasing product engineering organization which is responsible for delivering the market-leading leasing management software in Commercial Real Estate (CRE). You will lead a global team of twenty engineers, three engineering managers, and several technical leads.
What Makes this Job Awesome?
- Partner with Product, Engineering, and Design (PED) leadership to drive the delivery of VTS’ core leasing product (VTS3) by enabling development teams to deliver differentiating innovation to our users and drive business growth.
- Drive a customer-first focus with a passion for building and growing empowered product teams to develop products for an international client base
- Own software delivery for the VTS leasing engineering org by reinforcing agile best practices, doubling down on what works well, and identifying areas for improvement
- Recruit, develop, and mentor a mix of new and seasoned technical leaders and staff/senior engineers for the engineering org
- Reinforce a DevOps culture (“you shipped it, you own it”) across VTS engineering with investment in tools and processes relating to alerting, instrumentation, observability, SLA attainment, etc.
- Ensure critical business and customer data is protected by information security best practices and key processes, including regular security retrospectives, annual pen tests, SOC2 compliance.
- Contribute to a culture of engineering excellence at VTS by owning and/or partnering with the CTO, VP Engineering, and other PED leaders on the key initiatives spanning recruiting, budgeting/planning, career pathing, internal communication, and learning and development.
What makes you a great fit?
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth environment requiring a high degree of autonomy and responsibility
- Proven track record of leading product engineering organizations that generate tens of millions of Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR)
- Passion for data and metrics-driven leadership using frameworks such as DevOps Research and Assessment (DORA), OKRs, etc
- Several years of experience coaching and supporting engineering managers and principal/staff engineers, ideally in a distributed team environment
- Capable of building effective partnerships with leaders in other disciplines, and representing engineering concerns in cross-functional contexts
- Deep technical expertise and maturity to add value to technical discussions and decision making
- Driven by solving customer needs through cross-functional partnership
- Have a playbook for scaling platform teams to support fast-growing application teams
Nice to haves
- Experience leading a B2B Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) product engineering organization
- Experience in full-stack development (Ruby on Rails and React)
- Experience in establishing application and data services
More about our team
- We have an 80+ person engineering teamWe work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA, grouped in outcome-oriented “houses”
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- We work with technologies like Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android, Python, and Kafka
- Learn more on our engineering blog
What VTS values & how we show it:
- Strive for Excellence - We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed - We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff - monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious - Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One - We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership - Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference - VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.