Software Engineer, Localization
Toronto, CAN, San Francisco, CA & Remote - US & Canada /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Waabi, founded by AI pioneer and visionary Raquel Urtasun, is an AI company building the next generation of self-driving technology. With a world class team and an innovative approach that unleashes the power of AI to “drive” safely in the real world, Waabi is bringing the promise of self-driving closer to commercialization than ever before. Waabi is backed by best-in-class investors across the technology, logistics and the Canadian innovation ecosystem.
With offices in Toronto and San Francisco, Waabi is growing quickly and looking for diverse, innovative and collaborative candidates who want to impact the world in a positive way. To learn more visit: www.waabi.ai
Locations: San Francisco - CA, Toronto - ON, & Remote (US & CAN)
- Be part of a team of multidisciplinary Research Scientists and Engineers using an AI-first approach to enable safe self-driving at scale.
- Lead and contribute to robotics and computer vision projects which ensure that accurate and low-latency state information is available to the running self-driving software at any given moment.
- Own and shape a key component of Waabi’s state estimation software, which includes identifying requirements, defining deliverables, and formulating meaningful milestones for the entire process.
- Develop projects such as online and offline localization, global localization, state bootstrapping.
- Develop robust deep-learning observation models that work in the most challenging environments.
- Develop novel methods capable of running on real-world hardware, leveraging a wide range of state-of-the-art sensors while ensuring robustness, stable long-term operation, and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain rigorous metrics & evaluation pipelines to monitor the evolution of key localization metrics over time.
- Work closely with a wide range of teams ranging from mapping to motion planning and control.
- Bachelors or Masters/PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, or Robotics OR a minimum of 4 years of industry experience in this field or in similar technical fields of study.
- Demonstrated software engineering experience: through previous internships, work experience, coding competitions, and/or research projects and papers.
- Strong quantitative background and coursework in or working knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and probability.
- Proficient in reading and writing safe and performant Python and a high-performance language such as C++ or Rust.
- Experience with existing deep learning tooling (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, Jax)
- Open-minded and collaborative team player with willingness to help others.
- Passionate about self-driving technologies, solving hard problems, and creating innovative solutions.
Bonus/nice to have:
- Experience writing high-performance real-time software in Rust.
- Experience with mapping and localization algorithms (SLAM, Visual Odometry, Global Retrieval, Feature Matching, etc)
- Experience working with GPS, IMU, RTK and/or other state measuring hardware.
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS/Azure/Google Cloud).
- Interest and experience with geospatial systems (QGIS, ArcGIS) and 3D geometry.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Experience with large-scale optimization software such as Ceres or SymForce.
- Competitive compensation and equity awards.
- Health and Wellness benefits encompassing Medical, Dental and Vision coverage (for full-time employees only).
- Unlimited Vacation.
- Flexible hours and Work from Home support.
- Daily drinks, snacks and catered meals (when in office).
- Regularly scheduled team building activities and social events both on-site, off-site & virtually.
- As we grow, this list continues to evolve!
Waabi is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and accessible environment for all employees. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, age, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, caregiver status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We make workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.