Senior / Staff Autonomy Engineer
Toronto, CAN, San Francisco, CA & Remote - US & Canada /
Software – Autonomy & Algorithms /
Waabi, founded by AI pioneer and visionary Raquel Urtasun, is an AI company building the next generation of self-driving technology. With a world class team and an innovative approach that unleashes the power of AI to “drive” safely in the real world, Waabi is bringing the promise of self-driving closer to commercialization than ever before. Waabi is backed by best-in-class investors across the technology, logistics and the Canadian innovation ecosystem.
With offices in Toronto and San Francisco, Waabi is growing quickly and looking for diverse, innovative and collaborative candidates who want to impact the world in a positive way. To learn more visit: www.waabi.ai
- Contribute to the autonomy stack for self-driving initiatives by bringing innovative state-of-the-art deep learning models that will enable safe self-driving at scale.
- Work on a number of end-to-end autonomy engineering tasks from conceptualization, design, implementation to validation as it relates to cutting-edge algorithmic solutions used to make self-driving a reality. This encompasses core areas of autonomy stack (i.e., prediction, perception, motion planning and control).
- Develop in-depth understanding of deep learning models and algorithms and contribute to optimizing their training protocols, test-time performance, runtime, memory footprint, as well as power consumption.
- Identify, propose and build infrastructure, data and efficient pipelines, data storage strategies, common libraries and useful tools needed to improve research and development of deep-learning models.
- Design and implement tools for automated model tuning and hyper-parameter optimization, as well as experiment analysis.
- Research, validate and incorporate emerging machine learning and research infrastructures, tools, and technologies.
- MS/PhD or Bachelors degree with a minimum of 4 years of industry experience in Computer Science, Machine Learning and/or similar technical field(s) of study.
- Solid knowledge in performance evaluation and optimization of deep learning or computational science algorithms in the areas of GPU kernel development and optimization.
- Experience with parameter and architecture tuning of deep learning algorithms.
- Solid coding proficiency and knowledge of Python and C++ internals including scientific computing libraries.
- Some experience in reading and developing production quality software, versus only creating prototypes/proof of concepts.
- Demonstrable track-record of learning and deep-diving as needed into complex existing and new technologies within autonomy systems (i.e., perception, prediction, motion planning and control).
- Open-minded and collaborative team player with the willingness to help others.
- Passionate about self-driving technologies, solving hard problems, and creating innovative solutions.
- Expert level knowledge of one or more of the following: TensorFlow and PyTorch.
Bonus/nice to have:
- Experience in CUDA, OpenCL, etc.
- Familiarity with considerations related to sensor data (e.g., RGB, LiDAR) such as calibration, data capturing, noise sources, transformations, etc.
- Experience with automated testing.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
The US yearly salary range for this role is: $158,000 - $269,000 USD in addition to competitive perks & benefits. Waabi (US) Inc.’s yearly salary ranges are determined based on several factors in accordance with the Company’s compensation practices. The salary base range is reflective of the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Note: The Company provides additional compensation for employees in this role, including equity incentive awards and an annual performance bonus.
- Competitive compensation and equity awards.
- Health and Wellness benefits encompassing Medical, Dental and Vision coverage (for full-time employees only).
- Unlimited Vacation.
- Flexible hours and Work from Home support.
- Daily drinks, snacks and catered meals (when in office).
- Regularly scheduled team building activities and social events both on-site, off-site & virtually.
- As we grow, this list continues to evolve!
Waabi is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and accessible environment for all employees. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, age, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, caregiver status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We make workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.