Functional Safety Lead
San Francisco, CA & Remote US /
SE&T and Safety – Systems & Safety /
Waabi, founded by AI pioneer and visionary Raquel Urtasun, is an AI company building the next generation of self-driving technology. With a world class team and an innovative approach that unleashes the power of AI to “drive” safely in the real world, Waabi is bringing the promise of self-driving closer to commercialization than ever before. Waabi is backed by best-in-class investors across the technology, logistics and the Canadian innovation ecosystem.
With offices in Toronto and San Francisco, Waabi is growing quickly and looking for diverse, innovative and collaborative candidates who want to impact the world in a positive way. To learn more visit: www.waabi.ai
- Be part of a team of multidisciplinary Engineers and Research Scientists using an AI-first approach to enable safe self-driving at scale.
- Help drive Waabi’s safety culture through application of safety standards and methodology throughout the company.
- Create and maintain Waabi’s Safety Management System.
- Define the overall functional safety concept for the self-driving system and assist with evidence generation.
- Perform item definition, hazard and safety analysis in accordance to applicable guidelines.
- Work with the systems engineering and autonomy teams to derive relevant functional safety and technical requirements.
- Leads or assists in functional safety audits and assessments.
- Undergrad required; Masters or PhD within an engineering discipline preferred.
- 5+ years of automotive, robotics, aerospace or related industry experience.
- Experience with functional safety and systems engineering in complex safety critical fields.
- Experience with standards such as J3018, ISO21448, ISO26262 or UL 4600.
- Experience with failure and fault analysis such as DFMEA, FTA, or STAMP.
- Experience managing a Safety Management System and company operational safety programs.
- Strong fundamentals in mathematics, engineering and physics.
- Excellent data analysis skills with modern tools such as Python or Matlab.
- Open-minded and collaborative team player with the willingness to help others.
- Passionate about self-driving technologies, solving hard problems, and creating innovative solutions.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts or data in a simple-yet-accurate manner.
- Experience in the automotive self driving industry.
- Experience building software systems from scratch.
- Experience in robotics or machine learning.
- Proficiency with data mining, mathematics, and statistical analysis.
- Competitive compensation and equity awards.
- Health and Wellness benefits encompassing Medical, Dental and Vision coverage.
- Unlimited Vacation.
- Flexible hours and Work from Home support.
- Daily drinks, snacks and catered meals (when in office).
- Regularly scheduled team building activities and social events both on-site, off-site & virtually.
- As we grow, this list continues to evolve!
Waabi is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and accessible environment for all employees. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, age, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, caregiver status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We make workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.