Full Stack Software Engineer
Walker & Company Brands is reinventing the way consumers of color learn about, purchase and enjoy health and beauty products. We’re starting with a focus on the $50 billion personal care segment. Personal care manufacturers and traditional retailers are neither building brands nor merchandising experiences which cater to the uniquely differentiated needs of black, latino and asian consumers --- three of America’s fastest growing and most culturally influential demographic groups.
Our aim is to build the world's most consumer centric health & beauty products and services company.
- Execute on all aspects of software development phases — design, implementation, automated testing, deployment and maintenance.
- You are in it for the long haul and excited by a fast paced startup environment and the dynamic environment and flexibility that it requires.
- Write readable and tested code that’s easy to maintain in the long run.
- Act the technical subject matter expert: demonstrate technical expertise and lead projects solving challenging programming and design problems.
- Exemplifies a “can do” attitude and strong ability to be a team player.
- Ruby on Rails / Django / other web experience (MUST)
- HTML5/CSS3 & CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.
- Experience with version control using Git, SVN, etc.
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as SCRUM, TDD & BDD principles, continuous integration & deployment
- Previous experience and/or desire to work on challenges facing an ecommerce business.
Within the first month, we expect the Software Engineer to:
- Develop, modify and maintain Walker & Company’s ecommerce platform, focusing on user experience. Two brands are getbevel.com and formbeauty.com.
- Build out backend systems that integrate with payment provides and our fulfillment partners' systems.
- Work with the product and design team to create functionality to add delight to customers experience with Bevel.
- Work with customer support team to build tools to help maximize customer satisfaction.
Nice to have:
- Substantial open source contributions
- Previous startup experience
- Experience using cloud technologies such as AWS or GCS
- Strong knowledge of relational data models
- Experience mentoring fellow engineers
We have the support and financial backing of top-tier Silicon Valley venture capital firms and angel investors and our team has great experience building and growing many beloved consumer technology brands. We are looking for the most talented individuals across marketing, engineering, product and design functions to join our family and accelerate our growth while helping us build a great company.
Why work at Walker & Company Brands?
• It's an opportunity to join a small, agile company chasing a large, underserved market opportunity.
• Great exposure to building vertically-integrated e-commerce brands.
• Our office is conveniently located in downtown Palo Alto, just a 3 minute walk to and from the Caltrain station. Great coffee shops and restaurants surround the office.
• More benefits! Amazing health and dental plans for individuals and dependents (we pay 100% of the premium costs), commuter plans, competitive equity packages, unlimited vacation and personal days as needed.
• We dream big. We love to compete. We like to have fun. Feel free to reference check us on that.