Data Product Manager
Halifax, Nova Scotia /
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Data Product Manager who has a strong foundation in product fundamentals of strategy, product discovery, communication and leadership, as well as a passion for and experience building data systems.
Our data team is responsible for the eventing and data platforms that we use to track and understand the behaviour of 90M+ monthly readers and writers. These platforms, along with our data infrastructure, visualization tools, and A/B testing frameworks support our operational decision making, and they are the foundation of our data products (including recommendations, search and NLP on the world’s largest and most diverse collection of stories).
You will work closely with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that our data ecosystem better serves our business and users across the Wattpad experience. You will help facilitate the process of determining the best solutions in collaboration with your team, and you will be the representative of the team to ensure the team’s efforts are aligned to the needs of the organization and supported by appropriate stakeholders. The team works closely with our Algorithmic Enablement and Machine Learning squad (which consists of Data Scientists and ML Engineers), our Analysts, and customer facing squads across Wattpad including Reader Journey, Subscriber Growth and Creator Journey.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a multi-functional team to create, evolve and maintain our eventing and data ecosystem
- Own and manage the roadmap
- Be responsible for hitting goals
- Facilitate a robust product discovery process around understanding stakeholder needs, business and engineering applications, and constantly validating hypotheses
- Work closely with our engineering teams to better define, implement and iterate on solutions together
- Seek to deeply understand data needs across the business, clearly define and prioritize challenges and opportunities to ensure we are working on the right things at the right time
- Build strong relationships across the company to help solve problems together
What we're looking for:
- At least 2+ years of experience as a Data Product Manager, Platform Product Manager, or Technical Product Manager
- Familiarity with data technologies, such as EMR, Spark, Kafka, Redshift, Looker
- Strong product instincts about getting from a customer pain point to an underlying problem
- Passion for the power of storytelling
- Excellent leadership and communications skills, with experience managing a variety of stakeholders, including those who are deeply technical
- Data-driven/analytical mindset with the ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks and prioritize them
- Natural curiosity with a thirst to validate assumptions with data, insight and peer discussions to inform yourself better
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience is a strong asset
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.