Senior Director, Product
Halifax, Nova Scotia /
Wattpad – Product /
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We’re looking for a Senior Director of Product to join our dynamic Product team focused on building and evolving the Wattpad app and website, home to 90+M users (and growing!). The Senior Director of Product will manage a portfolio of products, including Premium, Ads, and Fan Monetization, in addition to overseeing overall user engagement and growth on the platform. We’re seeking an innovative Product leader to help shape the emerging creator economy for thousands of writers by empowering them to make a living on Wattpad over other platforms. If you’re passionate about nurturing fandoms, the growing creator economy, and pioneering products for a global community, this may be the role for you!
What you'll be doing:
- Define, execute, and iterate on our fan monetization strategy by ensuring Experience Design, Product, Marketing, Finance, Content, and Engineering teams are moving the same direction
- Manage, develop, and grow a team of Product Managers to support skill development, performance, and overall career growth
- Define and achieve ambitious revenue targets
- Work collaboratively with leaders across the organization, such as the President, to ensure our paid models approach supports a broader, cohesive strategy
- Ensure strategy is conducive to success in attaining our revenue and paid user goals (i.e., right skill sets, tools, processes, and support from other teams)
- Ensure seamless communication in regards to the paid models’ direction and performance to the organization including the Core Leadership Team and key stakeholders
- Support the overall Product practice by improving the capabilities around product discovery, product strategy, stakeholder management, leadership, and overall delivery of outcomes
- Support the Head of Product and Chief Product Officer with broader needs for the practice
What we're looking for:
- 8+ years of professional experience as a Product Manager
- 2+ years of people management experience including leading and coaching a team
- Excellent leadership and communications skills including working closely with C-level executives
- Strong stakeholder management with the ability to influence across departments
- A passion for product management as a practice as well as people development
- Experience and understanding of large scale technology systems
- Strong product instincts to connect a customer pain point to an underlying problem
- Strategic mindset around key product choices enabling achievement of business goals
- Natural curiosity with a desire to validate assumptions with data, insight, and peer to make more informed decisions
- Experience growing revenue model products
Bonus points for:
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits fully covered by us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave top-up
- Monthly home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, and remote or hybrid work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.