Senior Backend Engineer
Halifax, Nova Scotia /
Engineering & Data /
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are a team of engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers with the vision to connect millions of readers to the right story at the right time. Wattpad’s Engineering & Data Squads are growing and we’re hiring for Senior Backend Engineers. We have opportunities to build new features and improve scalability of our core systems written primarily in Go and PHP. If you have a passion for building solutions at a massive scale and acting as a mentor for engineers, this is the role for you!
You’ll be an integral part of not only implementing solutions to those challenges but designing them as well. We want to support you in your career and help you level up your skills. Our engineers frequently attend conferences, watch tech talks together and present their technical achievements (and failures!). We understand how important flow is. We’re continually evolving how we work to ensure that engineers get to spend all their time doing what they enjoy most: building and fixing stuff.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing, building, and maintaining a large scale distributed system serving millions of people per day
- Providing mentorship and paving the way for engineers at Wattpad
- Building new product features in Go, PHP, Python and other languages
- Improving reliability and performance of core components and existing systems
- Configuring and maintaining the infrastructure that runs those systems
- Implementing A/B tests and other experiments
- Writing unit and service tests for all your code
- Researching new technology to solve tomorrow’s scaling issues
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience in a prior software development role
- You enjoy both building and maintaining complex back-end systems that operate 24/7 at high scale
- You write clean, readable code that communicates its intents and methods clearly to future engineers (but you can also deal with code that isn’t and doesn’t)
- You are comfortable in both static and dynamic languages and don’t mind switching between them
- You love learning and applying your knowledge in novel ways
- You enjoy working with a team and providing mentorship, but have no problem working independently
- Nothing makes you happier than a hard problem solved well
Bonus Points For:
- You have experience with monitoring distributed systems at scale
- You have a deep knowledge of Docker and exposure to container orchestration tools like Kubernetes or ECS
- You have exposure to Infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform & Ansible
- You are skilled in Go or PHP (or Python, Ruby, or Java)
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada as a precondition of employment.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.