Toronto, Ontario /
Wattpad – Engineering /
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be working closely with the Platform and Infrastructure (P&I) teams to guide the evolution of our backend systems. P&I is responsible for the systems that power our backend APIs for our applications and developing the standards, libraries, and infrastructure that allow other teams to be productive. As a member of the Staff community at Wattpad, you will work with other Staff engineers to drive the technical vision for the Engineering & Data department and, will be responsible for influencing thinking across multiple technical stacks to improve how we build software in general.
Wattpad runs on a large distributed system that handles tens of thousands of requests every second. You’ll be modernizing our monolith and creating new microservices hosted on AWS. Our monolith is written in PHP and backed by S3, Redis, Memcached, MySQL and Cloudfront. Our microservices are written in Go and are backed by S3, DynamoDB and MySQL. At our scale, caching is paramount so we have multiple terabytes of data across memcache and redis.
Your engineering career and happiness are incredibly important to us, so we are always finding new ways to level up your skills. Our talented and diverse engineers frequently go to conferences, watch tech talks together, present their technical achievements (and failures!), and mentor each other. We understand how important flow is. We’re continually evolving how we work to ensure that engineers get to spend their time doing what they enjoy most: building stuff.
What you’ll be doing:
- Guiding teams on how to make complex technical decisions in our backend platform and infrastructure domains balancing multiple tradeoffs.
- Influencing the technical direction of the Engineering & Data department by working with other Staff Engineers across multiple teams and technical stacks.
- Acting as a force multiplier in order to mature and evolve complex systems.
- Introducing and evolving our thinking around best practices when it comes to developing software.
- Designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining large systems.
- Directly solving complex technical challenges.
- Mentoring and coaching a team of engineers in order to support them.
What we're looking for:
- Experience with mentorship and coaching to help engineers develop their skills.
- Experience empowering teams to build products by using your influence rather than your authority.
- Experience providing technical leadership and being a thought leader across multiple engineering teams.
- Experience building and maintaining distributed back-end API based systems that scale.
- You understand how to make technical tradeoffs and know how to decide when a solution is “good enough”.
- Experience building internal platforms and tooling and developing a deep understanding of the needs of other engineering teams.
- Excited to be in an environment where you will support and be supported by your peer Staff engineers.
Bonus Points For:
- Building systems in cloud environments with AWS or GCP.
- Experience modernizing a PHP monolith and Go microservices.
- Experience deploying container based systems on top of Kubernetes.
- Passionate about security and privacy.
- Experience with deploying and maintaining data pipelines and machine learning systems.
- Experience building and maintaining front-end (mobile and/or web) systems.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.