Director, Finance / Controller
Wave propels brave entrepreneurs who pursue their dreams and drive the world’s economy. As an award-winning product and company, and one of the fastest growing financial services software, we have more than 3.5 million business owners from 200+ countries around the world. Every year, we track over $240 billion in income and expenses and more than $20 billion in invoices. We’re on a mission to change the lives of Entrepreneurs across the globe, and looking for only the best to join us.
About the Team:
We are a group of accounting professionals dedicated to Wave's bottom line. We believe accounting is more than just "money in" and "money out". As true strategic partners, we use data to drive critical business decisions. A weirdly high number of our finance team members has a dog. It’d be a bonus if you came as a package deal with a pup to join the crew, or at least some puppy treats!
About the Role:
Reporting to the VP, Finance, you’ll be responsible for preparing financial statements and other reports that key stakeholders will rely on to make decisions on how we run our business. Investors, creditors, auditors, and of course the Government - will be relying on the statements you provide. No biggie.
Here's how you will make an impact:
- All financial processes go through you. This could be month end, year end, cash, working capital of varying timelines and urgency - all are awaiting your eager +1.
- Everyone’s favourite: tax filings. This includes things like annual corporate taxes, sales taxes, and quarterly HST, for example. You’ll work through these internally as well as with external consultants, ensuring compliance the whole way through.
- While we’re on this topic - year-end audit? All you.
- Review in-house payroll processing for our ~200ish Employees, and manage T4 filings.
- Understand and monitor all equity and debt agreements to ensure compliance.
- While we’re talking about equity - you’ll be the go-to person responsible for managing the capitalization table and ESOP.
- Review accounting treatment policies and prepare accounting memos. Research technical accounting issues as required for compliance with IFRS.
- You’re able to put on your lawyer hat; through regular review of corporate documents with updates from *actual* legal counsel, you can advise and update accordingly.
- Partner and collaborate with other groups within Wave (IT, HR, Product, etc.) to manage annual SR&ED claims and other compliance needs.
- Represent the financial perspective on risk committees, leading the renewal of annual insurance policies and ensuring compliance.
- With a team of associates and senior analysts/accountants reporting to you, you’ll be responsible for directing, supporting and motivating them both while collaborating with the rest of the Finance team.
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn and become an expert on the Wave Payments Platform (WPP) ecosystem and related reconciliation procedures.
You'll thrive here if you have:
- 12ish years of having done a collection of these things before, preferably in a Fintech, Payments or Tech company.
- A dynamic, highly collaborative personality. You can pivot even better than Ross can. This will help you keep up with the pace we move at here. FYI, it’s quick.
- You have high standards for the work you do and how you deliver. This ongoing desire to push for new approaches and insights helps make you GREAT, and your team even better.
- You’re able to thrive on minimal guidance. Your CPA has prepared you for that, and your life-long relationship with Excel is a tight bond.
- You believe financial analysis is a *key* part of making strategic business decisions, and being involved in driving true business growth is a challenge that excites you.
- Stellar relationship management skills. Whether you’re working with your immediate team, reporting to Execs, or helping someone understand ESOP on their first day, you’re ready for it.
We hire world-class talent, but the learning doesn’t stop once you’re in the door. We’re committed to growing you personally and professionally through flexible mentorship programs, ongoing learning opportunities and a serious investment in each employee. We’re here to do excellent work - together - and achieve that through bringing on only the best and developing them to be even better.
With collaboration and transparency at our core, including monthly town halls where we regularly share business metrics and updates from the CEO, we’re empowered to pivot plans to solve problems, remove bottlenecks and always find a way to win for our Customers.
Our culture is reflected in a stellar Glassdoor rating (including a 99% approval rating of our CEO) as well as numerous awards. We’ve been continuously recognized as one of Canada's Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures, an Employee Recommended Workplace, and Great Place to Work Certified, awarded specifically in the Technology, Millennial, Inclusion and Women categories for several years running.
Get ready to do the best work of your career with Wave. We're waiting for you.