Boston, Duluth, Chicago, Louisville, or Remote
Technology – Data Science
Waystar modernizes the healthcare revenue cycle through innovative, cloud-based technology. We provide the highest-rated client experience to more than 450,000 providers, 22,000 healthcare organizations and 750 health systems and hospitals around the country. Together, our technology, data and client support streamline workflows and improve financials for our clients, so that they can focus on their patients. We are deeply committed to living out our organizational values: honesty; passion; curiosity; fanatical focus; best work, always; making it happen; and joyful, optimistic and fun.
What is the purpose of this position?
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist, who has previously supported Healthcare software applications. The data scientist role involves solving technical, data-driven Healthcare problems using computer science, mathematical, predictive modeling and statistical methods, & knowledge. This person will interact with teams from Account Management to Application Engineering and R&D, to conduct detailed analysis and experimentation to maximize the utility of predictive modeling, analytic and machine learning across Waystar's product line. The role will focus on extending machine learning, predictive modeling, and analytic components to provide up-to-date intelligence to Healthcare providers maximizing outcomes. An ideal candidate for this position can approach problem-solving challenges independently, has a strong attention to detail, and enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and team-based environment.
Looking for some details?
- Works closely with Application Engineering, Product Management, and Operational teams in designing, experimenting-with, and implementing machine learning and analytical systems applied to design information and user behavior
- Works closely with Application Engineering teams to gather and process data, as well as in surfacing various analytically-based features in core products
- Works on groundbreaking new applications of machine learning and analytic technology to Healthcare, producing quantitative, justifiable results to guide feature planning
- Translates real-world Healthcare problems to mathematical frameworks
- Works with Product Management, Marketing, and Sales as needed to promote sales and to incorporate market and customer feedback
- Data exploration, hypothesis creation (from business and product goals), testing algorithms, scaling to large data-sets and validating results will be common tasks for this role
- Understands, organizes, and communicates root causes of problems and successes succinctly
Do you fit our team?
- Complete familiarity with various statistical and machine learning techniques including: classification, regression, dimension reduction, clustering, and various multivariate methods
- Complete familiarity with empirical approaches to estimate performance of machine learning models including: hold-out sets, cross-validation, leave-one-out testing
- Understanding of orders of algorithms and how they scale
- Demonstrated competency in R/Python predictive modeling
- Demonstrated competency in RDBMS (e.g. SQL Server)
- Ability to code in 1+ general purpose programming language (C#, Java, etc.)
- Must be a quick-learner with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding presentation abilities and the ability to communicate with all levels of the Business
- Comfortable working in newly-forming, ambiguous areas where learning and adaptability are key skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess strong analytical, problem-solving, and writing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Master of Science degree or higher in the fields of Computer Science, Statistics, or Mathematics is preferred
- An aptitude for medical informatics is preferred
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.