Senior Backend Engineer
Redwood City, CA
Our Backend team covers four different areas:
Brokerage and Banking Platform - Help us build a service-oriented architecture that can handle hundreds of thousands of securities trades (worth hundreds of millions) every day without missing a beat. Just as AWS does for Amazon, our brokerage platform creates the foundation underlying our industry-leading financial products. We want you to help scale the platform 10x and then 10x again as we automate financial services into the future.
Financial Planning - Wealthfront engineers working within our financial planning area implement Path, which helps users plan and optimize their financial lives in an automated way. Path derives users’ financial histories and current situations from data that is pulled in from linked external accounts. This user data plus financial industry data are combined together within complex forward-looking simulations which allow our users to explore and understand what is needed to achieve their most important financial goals such as buying a home, paying for a child's college education, retirement, etc.
Onboarding - We help guide clients through the discovery of what Wealthfront is and working to provide the best possible experience as new clients go through our registration flow and ultimately funding their account by transparently informing them of what we're doing and what's happening to their money all the way until it's invested.
Financial Services - Wealthfront’s financial services help our clients achieve their financial goals. From the trading algorithms that power all of Wealthfront’s investment products and the Portfolio Line of Credit that lets you access cash easily, to the 529 college savings account that lets you start saving for your kids’ education, our engineers work with our research team to bring these innovative financial services to life.
- Design, implement, test and maintain backend components: application, data, infrastructure, analytics and deployment
- Design and build systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Live and breathe resiliency and uptime
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- 3+ years of prior backend experience
- Expertise in Java or similar language (such as C++ or C#)
- Experience with online data stores (preferably MySQL)
- Experience with offline data stores (preferably Hadoop stack) a plus
- Experience with at least one scripting language
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration and automated testing
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, math, physics or related field
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront’s vision is to optimize and automate our clients' finances exclusively through software. We've engineered a platform that delivers highly personalized advice and services including investment management, financial planning, and personal banking.
Wealthfront employees enable our clients to achieve their financial goals by developing sophisticated algorithms and investment strategies, intuitive user experiences and scalable infrastructure to continuously deploy mission-critical code. Join us as we help clients create their roadmap to financial freedom and scale from $11 billion in assets under management to trillions (yes, trillions).