Senior Backend Engineer
Our Backend team covers six different areas:
Trading - build the systems that our clients trust to automatically manage and trade $15B in assets using advanced tax-optimized investing strategies.
Banking - build the systems which automate and expose to clients the handling of cash coming in, going out, and being stored at Wealthfront.
Financial Planning - implement products and features within Wealthfront’s web and mobile apps, which help users plan and optimize their financial lives in an automated way.
Client Journey - building experiences which delight clients, for example through the unexpected ease of common tasks (like account opening) or the provision of thoughtful and timely guidance.
Growth - build the improvements which drive business metrics to make Wealthfront more successful.
Fraud & Risk - build the systems which ensure that fraud is identified and business risk is mitigated.
- Work with a team of engineers to design and build new features or enhancements to existing features. This work will add capabilities to the various backend systems and services that support Wealthfront’s products, and will be done with automated instrumentation and monitoring to require minimal operational maintenance.
- Help improve the maintainability and stability of our codebase by working on fixing issues and adding necessary enhancements to our existing backend systems.
- Ensure that mission critical backend systems and services operate smoothly in production by triaging and resolving operational issues as part of a team of on-call engineers.
- Participate in recruiting activities such as interviewing, and career fair attendanceProvide mentorship to other engineers on the team
- 3+ years of experience in developing backend components, services or APIs in Java
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms.
- Knowledge of SQL and experience working with online data stores (one of MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server)
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration and automated testing
- Experience working with Spark pipelines is a plus
- Knowledge of an ORM technology such as Hibernate is a plus
- Knowledge and experience of working with a dependency injection framework (one of Guice, Spring, Pico, Dagger) is a plus
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science or related field
Once you join, Wealthfront will:
- Pair you with a 1:1 mentor to guide you through our structured onboarding program
- Encourage you to lead projects which match your professional goals
- Support your professional development by providing feedback during weekly 1:1s and during our bi-annual reviews
- Give you autonomy so you can be a happy and successful member of our team
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the banking space in a big way this past year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate 18x greater than the national average. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response and grew over 100% last year to manage over $23 billion in total client assets.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2020 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.