Data Scientist, Growth
Palo Alto, CA (Open to US-based Remote) /
Data Science and Research /
The Data Science team creates data products to deliver personalized product experiences, develops best in class investment algorithms, and analyzes our rich financial and behavioral data to make key business decisions. The team draws from a variety of backgrounds in Computer Science & Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Math, Operations Research, and Financial Engineering. We derive strength from this diversity and are constantly learning and teaching each other in a down-to-earth, fun-loving environment. We are neither too big where you would be just another cog in the system, nor are we too small that none of our efforts can be realized. You will be challenged with meaningful and substantial technical problems which will help you learn and grow. Wealthfront is the leader in the vision to deliver financial optimization and automation to everyone. Join our passionate and innovative team with your fresh ideas and initiative to deliver on this great vision.
As a Data Scientist, Growth in the Data Science team, you will analyze data to generate insights that inform product, marketing, and other business decisions throughout the company and across the product lifecycle, from ideation and research to launch and iteration. You will collaborate with your data science colleagues with a focus on technical skills and career development. We are fortunate to work with experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission. Our Data Science team focuses on product analytics (for the product areas of, Financial Services including Investments & Cash accounts, and Fraud & Risk mitigation), A/B Testing, and growth/marketing analytics.
What you'll do:
- Partner closely with and serve as a data and analytics expert for optimizing the growth funnel of emerging and existing products
- Answer business questions from partner teams using available big data such as back-end application data, web/mobile product interactions, and marketing campaign responses.
- Apply intermediate level statistics (descriptive statistics, common pitfalls, NHST, A/B testing) to identify low hanging fruits and provide recommendations to guide the product roadmap.
- Collaborate with data scientists with advanced knowledge of machine learning and statistics to answer business questions.
- Develop a strong understanding of our datasets
- Take initiative to create new insights that will improve products or growth/marketing initiatives.
What we're looking for:
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s values and mission and can articulate the reasons why, and have an understanding of our product, business model and key metrics
- Ability to work with Growth Product managers and Marketing managers to understand their analytical needs and communicate results clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to access, clean, transform, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support using expert level SQL, Python/R
- Prior experience with working on Growth initiatives - developing hypotheses, testing, and iterating to drive results. Familiarity with commonly used metrics in the Growth and Marketing areas - sessions, bounces, engagement, funnel conversion, etc.
- Familiarity with product analytics tools (one or more of - Google Analytics, Amplitude, Adobe Analytics, Mixpanel etc) and metrics
- Ability to conduct exploratory analysis where documentation about data is not complete
- Visualization using tools like Quicksight, Tableau, and Shiny
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical discipline (e.g., Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Management) plus 4+ years of industry experience or Master’s degree (e.g., MBA, Business Analytics) plus 2+ years of industry experience
- Ability to collaborate with data scientists who may work on more complex components of the business analysis
- Desirable to have: some knowledge of machine learning (regression, classification, clustering), data pipelines written in Scala/Spark
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $27 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.