Corporate - Securities Compliance Paralegal
Redwood City, CA
General + Administrative
Wealthfront Inc. and Wealthfront Brokerage Corporation - Redwood City, CA
The mission of Wealthfront Inc., an SEC-registered investment adviser, and our wholly-owned SEC-registered broker-dealer subsidiary, Wealthfront Brokerage Corporation, is pretty simple: we believe everyone deserves sophisticated financial advice. In just five short years, Wealthfront has rolled out the features and services that now define a new category that we call “automated investment advisory services.” We are focused on taking services typically reserved for the ultra-wealthy, automating them and delivering them directly to all investors at an incredibly low cost. We have clients in all 50 states who trust us with over $7.3 billion and those assets under management are growing extremely rapidly. With our clients' trust, we believe we can and will change the financial advisory industry.
Wealthfront is seeking a talented, passionate and experienced corporate securities paralegal to support a wide variety of investment adviser and broker-dealer compliance matters. As a member of our legal and compliance team, this person will report to our Associate General Counsel and will work closely with and support not only our attorneys and other compliance professionals but just as importantly, all our other departments, including the product, design, engineering, marketing and compliance teams, to provide the best client experience possible.
- Assist Wealthfront attorneys and other compliance professionals in ensuring that all Wealthfront entities comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, especially those applicable to the financial advisor / services industries, including but not limited to (i) the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and other investment-related federal and state statutes, and (ii) rules of the SEC, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board and Financial Crimes Enforcement Network
- Assist in the regulatorily-required monitoring, reporting and escalation (as needed) of employee activities related to Code of Ethics such as personal securities transactions, outside business activities, political contributions, and others
- Assist in updating and filing investment adviser and broker-dealer regulatory disclosure and other documents, including but not limited to Form ADV Parts 1, 2A, and 2B, Form BD, Forms U4 and U5, Forms 13D, 13G, 13F, 13H, and 17H, Forms 3, 4 and 5 and Form SH
- Assist in maintaining broker-dealer and investment adviser registrations, disclosures, and continuing education requirements in WebCRD (Central Registration Depository) and Investment Adviser Registration Depository
- Provide compliance support in the onboarding process of new employees, including timely regulatorily-required disclosure of personal securities accounts, outside business activities and political contributions
- Assist the testing of compliance policies and procedures of multiple departments to manage and mitigate risk
- Assist the creation, implementation and maintenance of investment adviser and broker-dealer compliance programs and written supervisory procedures
- Help provide first line compliance support particularly in reviewing disclosures and customer-facing materials
- Help identify areas of non-compliance, communicate any deficiencies to General Counsel, and manage the documentation and resolution of the issue
- Assist with the books and records maintenance requirements under applicable rules and regulations
- Assist in the overall annual risk assessment of the firm and its control structures
- Assist in responding to regulatory examination requests
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum five years of corporate-securities paralegal experience, with at least four years of experience in a national or international law firm
- Bachelor's degree
- Paralegal certificate or equivalent
- Securities experience (securities offerings, both private and public, and public company filings) required
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 53 and 63 licenses or willingness to obtain and obtaining within nine months of hire (at Wealthfront expense) required
- Experience working with investment advisers or broker-dealers strongly preferred
- Experience working with and between Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite desired
- Strong attention to detail required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and strong collaborative skills
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues, present clear recommendations, and assure legal compliance
- Strong project management skills
- Self-motivated and efficient, with good business judgment and “take ownership” outlook
- Creative, with the confidence to present and advocate for the implementation of ideas
More about Wealthfront:
Wealthfront is the only automated financial advisor to offer financial planning, investment management and personal banking exclusively through software. Because of this approach, we've quickly become the automated advisor of choice among young people. Anyone can open a Wealthfront investment account with $500 to access a unique PassivePlus® investment strategy that includes a combination of a diversified portfolio of ETFs and tax minimization strategies. All clients receive financial planning through the service at no additional cost. Wealthfront does not charge management fees on the first $10,000 and for amounts above that the annual management fee is 0.25% - a fraction of what financial advisors typically charge. The majority of Wealthfront clients are in their 30s and 40s and have less than $1 million to invest. Wealthfront was founded by Andy Rachleff and Dan Carroll, who launched the service in December 2011. Wealthfront has raised over $129 million in funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures, Dragoneer Investment Group, Greylock Partners, Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Social Capital and Spark Capital, and is based in Redwood City, CA. For more information please visitwww.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
PassivePlus® is a registered trademark and property of CSSC Investment Advisory Services, Inc. (“CSSC”) and is used under license. CSSC and Wealthfront are not affiliated companies.