Redwood City, CA
Legal and Compliance
Wealthfront is seeking a talented, passionate, and experienced attorney to handle a wide variety of broker-dealer legal and regulatory matters. As a member of our legal team you will work closely with and report to our Deputy General Counsel. Just as importantly, you will collaborate with all other departments including the product, design, engineering, marketing, and compliance teams to provide the best client experience possible.
- Creatively configure compliant solutions and provide advice for sound business decisions in view of relevant legal and compliance requirements and risks
- Analyze and provide guidance on evolving laws, rules, regulations, and trends impacting broker-dealers, including: Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and related broker-dealer statutes and regulations; FINRA and MSRB rules and regulations; and other federal and state financial services-related laws, rules and regulations applicable to broker-dealers
- Advise with respect to legal and regulatory aspects of compliance matters for the broker-dealer
- Assist with the development of new lines of business and financial advisory products by: Embedding yourself in the project development team upon project launch; working closely and proactively with other project team members to identify potential legal and regulatory issues; crafting compliant solutions that avoid or minimize inefficient use of product and design and engineering resources and speed product launches; and drafting related agreements, policies, procedures and disclosures
- Manage interactions with the SEC, FINRA and other regulatory authorities
- Interface with and manage outside counsel
- J.D. degree and licensed to practice in California, or the ability to apply for California's in-house counsel exemption
- Between 3 to 5 years of relevant legal experience at a national or international law firm; in-house or start-up experience preferred
- Familiarity and experience with FINRA and MSRB rules required
- Experience working with investment advisers preferred
- Ability to design creatively compliant solutions while not blocking progress by rotely minimizing risks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong collaborative skills
- Ability to participate in developing company strategic and operational goals, and work closely with business units in their operational execution
- Ability to provide hands-on counsel to all levels of executive and non-executive associates
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations, and assure legal compliance
- Strong project management skills
- Self-motivated and efficient, with good business judgment and “take ownership” outlook
- Creative, with the confidence to present and advocate for the implementation of ideas
Wealthfront’s vision is to optimize and automate our clients' finances exclusively through software. We've engineered a platform that delivers highly personalized advice and services including investment management, financial planning, and personal banking.
Wealthfront employees enable our clients to achieve their financial goals by developing sophisticated algorithms and investment strategies, intuitive user experiences and scalable infrastructure to continuously deploy mission-critical code. Join us as we help clients create their roadmap to financial freedom and scale from $11 billion in assets under management to trillions (yes, trillions).