Palo Alto, CA
Wealthfront is looking for a full-time storyteller to help elevate our brand. We empower people to reach meaningful life goals, like buying a home, saving for their children’s future, and achieving financial freedom. Our clients are largely millennials — they're young, educated, and ambitious individuals who often take unconventional paths and define success in their own terms. We feel there is a unique opportunity to produce original content that captures the hearts and minds of this demographic.
We’re looking for a seasoned writer and editor who will work closely with our Editorial Director to develop content for our blog and other editorial content projects — from stories about our clients to in-depth resources that deliver clear answers to hairy financial questions. You’ll also draw insights from our company’s leadership team and package them in a way that’s accessible and useful to our target audience. You’ll work with writers to craft stories that educate, delight, and reflect the lives and financial interests of our readers. Part of your role will be to help execute Wealthfront’s editorial voice as we evolve beyond the investing industry to the banking industry, personal finance, financial planning, and broader lifestyle topics.
We’re looking for someone who is a whip-sharp editor with unmatched skills for molding a draft into the pitch-perfect piece for its job, whether that’s to inform or entertain. You’re the kind of editor that writers love to work with because you make their work shine. Our perfect person for this role has a strong editorial background and a knack for developing rich, shareable narratives that engage readers. Our vision is to create a content destination that combines written stories with compelling digital experiences (video, podcast, interactive content elements), and you will be a creative partner in helping bring this vision to life. We are investing in a content distribution strategy so that the content you produce will be discoverable across different channels and communities.
While we don’t want to be just another personal finance brand that talks about tips for managing your money, we do aim to increase financial literacy for our clients. Your job will be to help balance our content to be both educational and inspirational. We’re looking for someone with a sense of intellectual curiosity—you ask questions, get excited by new ideas, and enjoy experimenting with different storytelling techniques. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we want to hear from you. This role reports into the Editorial Director.
- Manage day-to-day content execution, from research to editing to publication. This includes writing original content, repackaging existing content, and editing freelancers.
- Help develop and manage the editorial calendar, based on news cycles, seasonality, and consumer search trends.
- Shape Wealthfront’s editorial identity, refining our brand voice and making that voice consistent across our owned channels.
- Collaborate with our Data Science team to develop compelling data stories for clients and media partners.
- Continually develop creative ways to differentiate our content.
- 4-8 years of experience writing and editing for consumer audiences, ideally as a journalist — published examples of content required.
- Demonstrated ability to make complex and abstract concepts feel accessible and entertaining.
- Experience creating high quality content under tight timelines.
- Experience working with (and ideally managing) freelancers.
- Incredibly organized and deadline driven.
- Independent operator with the ability to work with minimal supervision, but comfortable working cross-functionally and collaborating as needed.
- Expertise with content publishing platforms (we currently use WordPress, but experience using other CMS platforms a plus).
Nice to haves:
- Background in financial journalism.
- Exposure to multimedia content production like video, podcast.
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a NextGen Banking Service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the space in a big way this year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate more than 20x greater than the national average.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2019 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.