Data Science Intern
Palo Alto, CA
Research + Data Science
As a data science intern in Wealthfront’s Research organization, you’ll be responsible for improving the quality of our internal decisions or creating data products to help our consumers make better financial decisions using the vast amounts of data available to Wealthfront such as consumer financial transactions in linked accounts and consumer behavior on our site. Your work generates tools and insights that inform product and business decisions across the company (teams, senior management and clients) and across the idea lifecycle, from ideation and estimation to launch and iteration. Previous intern projects have a track record of being self-contained, technically savvy, contributing code to deployed systems, and influencing our product roadmap.
You’ll be joining a team of highly experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, Twitter, eBay, and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams of product managers and engineers, translating open-ended business issues into data questions, identifying practical approaches including A/B testing to answer them, and carrying out timely and well-documented analyses that influence our product and company strategy.
- Design and develop data products to assist consumers with decisions around investments, financial planning, and advice.
- Continuously look for, and execute upon, opportunities to improve the quality of our data, our infrastructure and our products.
- Understand and communicate a holistic picture of the business to the company.
- Promote the automation of repetitive tasks and the creation of tools over one-off analyses, making your insights available to anyone that can benefit from them.
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s mission and can articulate the reasons why. You have read about Wealthfront and have an understanding of our investment product that optimizes passive investing, business model and key metrics.
- You are able to access, transform, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support, and communicate your results verbally and in writing.
- You can prioritize and edit your own work.
- You care about producing reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end.
- You have strong opinions, weakly held, on relevant subjects such as deep learning, experimental design, data visualization and behavioral economics.
- You appreciate the tradeoff between technical complexity and the incremental impact over parsimonious approaches
- You can present something that you have built firsthand and are proud of (e.g., school project, thesis, independent project).
- You are currently learning something outside of your immediate line of work.
- Programming competency in Python, R, and SQL is a plus.
- Strong background in machine learning, statistics, or applied math.
- You will graduate in approximately a year and will seriously consider industry jobs, not just academia.
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront is a nextgen banking service. We help you manage your money for both your short-term and long-term goals by providing a cash account with a top-of-market APY, best-in-class automated investment management, and free financial advice, anytime you want it. We entered into the banking space in a big way this year with the launch of our cash account that offers an interest rate 23x greater than the national average. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response and have grown nearly 100% this year already to manage nearly $20 billion in total client assets.
Our ultimate vision is to optimize and automate all of our clients’ finances and build what we call Self-Driving Money™️. We want clients to be able to automatically deposit their paycheck into their Wealthfront account, and let us take care of the rest — paying their bills, topping off their emergency fund or 401(k), and investing the rest based on their specific goals and lifestyle. To get there, we’ll be focusing the bulk of our 2019 efforts on creating a better alternative to what the banking industry provides. Join us so you can help us turn this industry on its head and build a service that our clients don't just like, they love.